First Gen Club

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
k cool cause im gunna do gussets on the front of the frame. where should i focus?

im having one of the best damn welders im michigan do them. roy at my dads work! 30 years of welding under the belt. lol

Good^^^! I really wasn't wanting to get into a "how to weld an atv frame with a mig" discussion.

lol pat i just need suggestions on where to put the gussets. and who says i dont know how to mig weld?

Never said you didn't. But, you've never said you knew how, either. Atv frames can be tricky to weld if you don't have a GOOD mig welder. I prefer the Millermatic 250 or 252. These frames are so thin, that you need to turn down the wire speed to a litteral crawl, and turn down the voltage to about nill, so you not only get good penetration, but so you don't blow a hole in the damn thing. Once you get the welder dialed in, you're pretty good to go. It's just having a good tunable welder that's pretty key. I can weld em with the crappy welder I have, but it takes lots of time, and lots of care.

well that explains the hole in my frame where it looks like it was melted! have to fix that too damnitall!

miging an atv frame is different because of how thin the factory tubing is
I was really sketchy about welding on my frame for that same reason. But I used a really nice oldscool miller with argon. Anybody can weld with that ****!
I went threw a 1/4 spool getting use to the welder though, before I even burnt my first weld.
Knowing the welder, and trusting your welds is half the battle.

Back