feel my pain

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99warriornj

Reaction score
about 2 months ago i made an attempt to swap out my stock header for power bomb... well i wound up snapping the stud with about 15lbs of pressure..my room mate tried a few different things to remedy the situation cause i have no patience for that kind of stuff and he is a mechanic but nothing worked. finally took it to our local machine guy and he gets the remaining part of the stud out for 20 bucks... well today i had quite possibly the shittiest day ever at work. i came home and my gasket kit was waiting for me. so i got work and everything was going great, nothing was giving me a problem.... then it happened.. i was talking to my room mate and torquing the bolt for the cam chain and with not even 10lbs showing up on the torque wrench, the cam chain bolt snaps and the spring sends it across the garage.... AWESOME!!! we are supposed to ride saturday for the first time in months and i was less than an hour from finishing.. i call the local shitty dealership and of course they dont keep these im stock for any year warrior or raptor.... **** **** ****

Yamaha bolts suck more than anything has ever sucked before. Even on my Raptor 700 it's still the same weak ass garbage. I swear they're not steel bolts, they must be made out of a compound of lead, tin, and aluminum. I've sheared off clutch cover bolts torquing them to the 7 ft/lb specs with a calibrated torque wrench... wtf? I learned that when I take a bolt out, it's best to go to the hardware store and get a new one, in stainless or at least a grade 5 or 8, something not so weak and likely to strip out or break. I feel your pain, I never broke an exhaust stud but I ended up drilling and using extractor bits more than once on the yamahas because of it.

YES! i know i have to many many times. every time i need hard ware i get an 8.

Yamarider you are so right in your statement! to tell you the damn truth i almost expect 2 or 3 bolts to break on any yamaha project

so Friday i rush around all day at work, trying to bang out all my jobs as quick as possible so i can get to Jarheads.. ( our local machine shop )... i get there just as he is walking out the door. i tell him what happened and he tells me he doesnt have any warrior parts left cause he used them on my head the last time i brought it to him. well right next to his shop, is a jetski/ waverunner shop and those guys dont have anything... so Jarhead tells me he is gonna call "Phil"... well of course Phil doesnt answer and Jarhead tells me to call him tomorrow and see if he found anything for me. so i leave and head to Atlantic City Cycle Center to see if maybe on of the mechanics have any spare parts or maybe they have just the bolt in stock.. i had the parts guy the broken bolt, he goes in the back to see if any of the techs have on, turns on they did have the tensioner bolt and the actually tech that brought it to me was Phil.. AWESOME!.. so i race home and imediately attack the quad, i slapped everything back together complete. i push her out the garage and crack her over....... well she cranks... and cranks.... and cranks.. I GOT NO SPARK NOW... both my roommate and i are thinking it could possibly the stator. we are gonna hook it up to his quad later today when he gets home from riding to see if we can get it running once its moving..

That sucks!!!!!! Was it a ft/lbs wrench or a in/lbs wrench? I didn't realize that torque wrenches are accurate in the middle of their range, but not too either extreme (Found out by stripping the head cover bolt threads in a cam journal).

when i snapped the header stud, i was using a ratchet to get it off.... i was going through the clymer manual the other day. the torque specs in that manual are not correct for alot of the bolts... CLYMER MANUALS SUCK ASS

99warriornj said:
CLYMER MANUALS SUCK ASS

agreed! well mostly... clymers are good for some things... but if i only could use one it would be yamaha for sure

took some electrical tape and wrapped it around the intake boot. i slapped her back together, hit the start button and she fired right up... took her out the pit and she runs like a raped ape.. fan-*******-tactic!!!!..... now i gotta get an intake boot

Back