exhuast temp

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordysoso

Reaction score
anyone know a max temp that our headpipes get? searched and couldnt find any info on here.

Well I bought some VHT high heat **** that withstands 1300-2000 degrees. It's a silica-ceramic coating in a rattle can. Hopefully this works nice on the head pipe.

^ lol! But yeah I'm gonna spray the pipe in my basement tomorrow, it's like mid 30's all week so my barn as a spray booth is a no go. Midway, did you use any primer or just rough the pipe up and spray it? I'm new to ceramic coatings.

^ lol! But yeah I'm gonna spray the pipe in my basement tomorrow, it's like mid 30's all week so my barn as a spray booth is a no go. Midway, did you use any primer or just rough the pipe up and spray it? I'm new to ceramic coatings.

I glass bead blasted the pipe to get all the burnt on junk off it. I never have done it any other way. I don't think the paint will stay if the pipe is not cleaned to bare metal.

I don't think the paint will stay if the pipe is not cleaned to bare metal.
Actually that VHT stuff is pretty forgiving. Just as long as the surface is clean, and there isn't any loose stuff it'll stick.
Following the curing steps makes it last way longer to. Just be sure you have some windows open if you cure it in the oven in your kitchen.. lol

I have never done any curing process other than bolting it on the engine and run it. If you use the high heat clear on anything don't touch it till it has heat and cool cycled a few times. It is sticky the first few heat cycles of the engine. I painted the heat shield on my 660 with it. Rode through some dry stuff and stirred up some dirt and it stuck right in the goo.

Will a blow torch work? Lol curing it in an oven is gonna be impossible for me. There's no way anyone in my house will let me do it :/ maybe I can rig something up with my woodburner. Door open with the pipe on a stand infront of it with the heat goin straight at it?

Will a blow torch work? Lol curing it in an oven is gonna be impossible for me. There's no way anyone in my house will let me do it :/ maybe I can rig something up with my woodburner. Door open with the pipe on a stand infront of it with the heat goin straight at it?
Actually I used a tiger torch to cure some headers once. It worked pretty good.
You can see the paint collect when the heat hits it. It's kinda cool to watch.

The head pipe may just fit in your gas BBQ. Lay some foil down and and heat it up as hot as you like. If its too small you could prop it open or remove a rack to make more room. The wife, girlfriend or mother should be ok with the BBQ use.

Good point bro that's probably what I'll do. I have a small two burner one so if it doesn't work then either blow torch or just stick it on the bike to cure it

I could always wrap it. Just wanted to cover the bare metal for now to prevent rust.

if you wrap it, it wont rust.. ive got a header thats been wrapped 3 years and its been setting i the floor of m shop the last year and it has no rust on it and its a blown factory.

If I wrapped it and didn't like it I'd have to paint it anyway. So I figured start on the bottom and work up if need be.

Back