exhaust wrap

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrum

Reaction score
anyone on here run exhaust wrap on their header pipe? I ran it on my old ironhead Harley for looks more or less..just wondering what it will really do besides looks and if it is a problem to run period..let me know what ya think

Lots of guys run it. It lowers the temps for the exhaust. Looks good too!

yea I love the ratty look it gives..what exactly does the fiberglass that's in it do though? that's what it is right?

From my experience with building high performance cars I know to never put exhaust wrap on anything that gets wet. I would only use it on race track dedicated cars. I have replaced exhaust systems on cars because of wrap when they were street driven. After about 2 years the only thing holding the exhaust pipe together is the wrap.

The wrap stays wet and causes the pipes to rust.

Plus exhaust wrap is used to lower under hood temps to lower intake temps. On an open 4 wheeler it really does nothing.

ok that's the info I was lookin for..yea I go through a lot of mud and puddles etc. rough trail riding. no sand dunes or racing or anything so other than looks it would be pointless..thanks man

I beg to differ. Ran it6 years no problems.

I documented a roughly 40 degree drop in head temps.

I also had to jet up one pilot2 mains.

and the only time the wrap stays wet is when you don't ride. When first putting the wrap on you have to soak it anyways. so I wouldn't be worried about rotting your head pipe away anytime soon. I run it on mine and wouldn't change it. I ran it on my ol FXLR on straight shots.

I'm doing this too. Lookin for a write up or how to video.

Pick your color.
Soak the wrap so it stretches when you install it.
Take your pipe off to get a tighter & straighter fit.
leave a fold on the begining and end to keep it unfrayed.
Start at the back going forward to make the overlaps aerodynamic.
Overlap half the width.
2inch wide wrap can bunch in the corners but will get the job done faster.

The trick is to make is as tight as you can. the kits can come with little straps for holding the ends down but some people use heavier straps like radiator clamps.

Will black exhaust wrap fade to gray? I'm pickin a color. I think red might turn pink haha

Not sure if the silicone spray is good or bad for this application.

One reason why atv headers won't rot out like automotive headers, is because many atv headers are stainless steel. Like the FMF powerbomb. Automotive headers aren't even aluminized.

Not true. I took SLP headers off of my buddys cobra. They came off in pieces. They were wrapped and stainless. Headers were only 1.5 years old. Only bottom of the barrel aftermarket headers are not stainless.

Not true. I took SLP headers off of my buddys cobra. They came off in pieces. They were wrapped and stainless. Headers were only 1.5 years old. Only bottom of the barrel aftermarket headers are not stainless.

Any automotive headers I've seen have not been stainless, only standard steel, chromed, or cerramic coated. Nearly all headers you seen on cars are the cheaper, standard steel, headers because the every day car buff can't (or doesn't want to) afford headers that cost more then a set of heads.

Last edited:
Is there a certain type of wrap or there all the same?? Can someone post a link to a decent exhaust wrap

Will black exhaust wrap fade to gray? I'm pickin a color. I think red might turn pink haha

I think the black will look horrible after a day out riding and the mud hits it , it probably won't even wash off good

Black is the only color that looks good......

Non of the rest will clean up. Black cleans up perfect.

Can u post a link to a decent one ?? I've searched eBay and there's like 3 different kind of exhaust wraps not color wise but the material that was used to make it.

Back