exhaust studs

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmcauto77

Reaction score
Has anyone broken their exhaust studs off of the head? I was repairing my head pipe today and when I put the pipe back on the head, my studs broke. I could not get them out for nothing. Any ideas?

I had the threads strip out on my 02 motor and I took the whole wheeler to full throttle here and took them 15 minutes to fix it without taking head off or motor out

Depends how bad. If there is some meat you may be able to get in there with vise grips and walk them out. No meat, then take the engine out or head off and bring it to a machinest. It can be a bitch with the aluminum to extract a steel bolt, especially in that tight of a space . Sometimes there is enough meat to use a stud extractor and turn them out. This is why I put new studs in my spare head after I had it ported, to avoid this bs.

Well, there was some meat, but I could not get the studs to move at all. I ended up drilling them out, but now I have to get new stud in. Has anyone used helicoils in this situation? I have used them on cars before, but I do not know if they will work here.

Well, there was some meat, but I could not get the studs to move at all. I ended up drilling them out, but now I have to get new stud in. Has anyone used helicoils in this situation? I have used them on cars before, but I do not know if they will work here.
they do work but I have heard of them falling out I have them in my 02 motor and they haven't came out yet

Just tap new threads. Best, longest lasting fix. Factory thread pitch should be m6x1.25. And goob the new studs with antisieze before installing them.

Use a timesert instead (http://www.timesert.com/) of a helicoil if your going that route. A little extra coin, but a much better repair. Of course you wont be taking the studs in and out so you shouldn't have much trouble with the coils coming out.

DONT USE COILS OR INSERTS!!
They never stay.

Get 2 m8-1.25x50 bolts in stainless, a tap, and end tap also called a flush tap.
over size the studs and that will SOLVE the problem not just fix it.

Ok so drill and tap as sudgested, then take the 2 bolts, lock tight them suckers and put then in the head, with a nut on each. Wait 30 min before cutting the heads off with a dremil, UN screw both nuts this will ensure the threds are ok at the end. U will need to oversize the holes in the head pipe.

Back