Engine upgrade time

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewthompson

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking at getting HOT RODS Complete Stroker Crank Assembly as my engine is locking quite bad so gonna rebuild it, has anyone done this before and also looking at a reborn as well what's size bore would people suggest

Don't bore the motor over anymore than is needed to make the cylinder round and smooth. A machine shop will be able to tell you this. There is no reason to go from a stock bore to the largest overbore available. No power is gained by the small increase in piston size, and all you are doing is making it so you can't bore it again after this new rebuild wears out. As for a stroker crank, that's your choice. I personally wouldn't run one, because it will make the motor rev slower and not be as reliable. Instead, I would run a stock stroke motor with a high compression piston. Port and Polish the head, get a good cam and carb setup, and you'll have a nice motor that revs fast. It really depends on what you are building the motor to do. I ride trails, so I want a fast revving motor. Also, with any performance mods, an oil cooler is needed (highly recommended), so look into that.

Don't bore the motor over anymore than is needed to make the cylinder round and smooth. A machine shop will be able to tell you this. There is no reason to go from a stock bore to the largest overbore available. No power is gained by the small increase in piston size, and all you are doing is making it so you can't bore it again after this new rebuild wears out. As for a stroker crank, that's your choice. I personally wouldn't run one, because it will make the motor rev slower and not be as reliable. Instead, I would run a stock stroke motor with a high compression piston. Port and Polish the head, get a good cam and carb setup, and you'll have a nice motor that revs fast. It really depends on what you are building the motor to do. I ride trails, so I want a fast revving motor. Also, with any performance mods, an oil cooler is needed (highly recommended), so look into that.

Hi thanks for that info really glad I asked gave me some stuff to think bout, what cam and carb would you advise to use. Where best place to get high compression piston from and oil cooler? Are the oil coolers easy to fit without lots of mods?

A lot of these questions you have asked depend on the type of riding you plan to do. Throwing a bunch of random parts together and then expecting your motor to be a good fit for you is an unrealistic goal. I would suggest you do some looking around on this forum, particularly the Elite Build Threads. Each Elite quad has been built a little different for different purposes. Also, budget is a huge player on parts you plan to run.

As for oil coolers, there are two kinds, the Big Bear 350 setup and the Clutch Cover mod setup. The clutch cover mod is suppose to be the better of the two, but involves machining, where as the Big Bear 350 setup is a bolt on deal. There are a lot of threads devoted to the oil coolers for warriors here on this forum. Take a look around and if you need, shoot me a PM and I can point you in the right direction.

Back