engine noise (video)

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarriorRider80

Reaction score
So after a good long ride a couple of weeks ago i noticed the sound of the motor changing. I call it a knock but some people say it sounds more like an air leak or sucking sound. havent lost any performance but its bugging me. Valves are in check so i got nothin. Oil recently changed, use rotella 15 40. new clutch new stator. Almost sounds like its coming from the gearbox. Its so hard to pinpoint it, one minute it sounds like the top end the next the bottom then the gearbox. Let me know what you think Thanks guys

http://youtu.be/tlSAWd1gZ3I

Its hard to hear on the vid! Id check the timing chain and tensioner! Also check head pipe gasket!

sorry about the delayed response fellas, my computer took a dump on me finally got a new one. Anyway, i putted around the yard to day and it sounds like its coming from the stator to trans area, left side more than right. My stator is the cheap ebay one, replaced that beginning of winter. Anyone ever had any funky noises coming from their stator? My crankcase breather is fine by the way. I havent checked the timing chain but i adjusted my valves about 2 months ago and it seemed tight then. Not much riding time on it since then. Just sounds like a little kids bubble blowing lawn mower lol, not sure if anyone knows what they sounds like, but thats what i hear.

hate to be the one to say it, but that sounds like a rod... I had one sound similar to that and it was the crank and rod had to much play... I swap cranks in it and the noise went away..

so you're saying its the bearing on the lower end of the rod? Should I replace the rod or the crank? Or both? If I can just get away with the bearing I'm gonna do that

Id just replace the complete crank assembly.... You can have the crank rebuilt, but is not but a few bucks more to just buy a new aftermarket one..

If your going to put a new crank in mine as well get the stroker crank

Sad thing is I don't have the money for the entire crank. That's why I asked about just replacing the bearing(s) if need be. I don't mind tearing the cases apart, I have access to the tools where I work. Not really looking to get into upping cc's just wanna ride, spring and summer are coming. Hopefully that's the problem. Guess I can take top end off and check the rod

I dont hear anything out of the usual?

I'm with Alex. I don't hear anything unusual. You said you hear it more on left side and you changed stator a while back? Maybe pull stator cover and check to see if anything is loose, stator hold down bolt, flywheel, Timing chain guide.

just make sure to check the oil filter for an unusual amount of steel in the oil or aluminum because IMO that is the earliest warning sign of something goin bad in the motor with metal on metal contact

Back