Engine mods?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyler

Reaction score
Alright so i was racing all day today and i was against a ltz 400 and yfz 450. Surprisingly i could beat the ltz and hang right behind the yfz, so i think with just a little engine work i would be and good shape. Question is what can i do that dont cost a ton but help out a little with performance? Thanks!

Speed doesn't come cheap unless you're stealing your parts. A high compression piston with a ratio more than 11:1 is going to call for 100 octane fuel or a mix of 93 pump fuel and race fuel or it's not going to run right. I think 10.5:1 or 11:1 is optimal for a trail machine. That extra 1 compression point won't even get you 1 more hp and another thing to consider is that higher compression means harder starting, and more heat when running which can become a problem since these things are air cooled.

A .450 cam would be real shitty with a mostly stock engine, way too aggressive without having bore, stroke, porting, bigger carb, etc. Even with a .430 you're going to be losing some bottom end power, and also realize that with any cam you should get stiffer valve springs which will tack about $100 onto the cost.

Pound for pound I think the hot rods 400 kit is probably going to be your most kick for the money, and then when you get the money a mid cam with valve springs and some porting will really amplify it.

Still don't expect to come close to matching up against a 450 in power, you're talking about a much lighter machine with twice the power, even with a 400 kit, cam, port work, and your other mods you're still at around 30 hp and a 450 will be closer to 40 stock. Just warning you, trying to make a warrior fast for cheap can be a losing game, a real money pit.

thats about the standard "high comp" after market piston for the small bore 4pokes.

pretty much 10:1 is alittle higher than most stock, then there's the 10.5:1, 11:1, and 12:1
12:1 should do fine if you run 91-93 octane

I run a 11:1 84.5bore JE piston and run it on 93, have the .430 cam and so far seems to be a good setup for me, still don't feel like my Edle is tuned in right though. If I could do it again I'd actually wanna try out the .390 cam. Just like to have some of the bottom end back because woods riding is a lot of that.

And as big of a boner as I have for Warriors, you telling be you beat a 400 and almost a 450 in a "race" the there day just tells me that your friends don't know how to ride as good as you do. And take that as a compliment. Racing, especially XC racing is 80% rider 20% machine. Go the mid cam, mid bore route and you should be really happy and keep up on your race skills and you'll continue to turn heads.

^^^ I agree because i have drag raced many a z400s and 400exs with my old warrior which was not stock and had it set up for more speed and always got spanked in the top end and a yfz no way in drag. but if your talkin woods then heck ya

It was on a rectangle shaped track really muddy and took some skill to make the corners good. And i can ride pretty good especially when im pissed off! lol

Well here are some pics of the warrior before and after our race yesterday. The dirty pics are actually a little cleaner than it was right after the race (believe it or not) because i knocked some of the mud off and rode it some today. The dirt and mud that was on the front bumper was seriously like 1/2" thick! lol And as you can tell by the pictures i was catching some major roost off the other guys, but i couldent puss out i wanted to show them what i could do with my little 350!! But it was fun and i didn't break anything so i would consider it a pretty good day except the fact that i lost lol.

IMG_3440_1.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

Wow i just realized this thing looks really clean compared to right after the race! lol

love the custom color of your quad in the photos man!! What do you call that color "too much taco bell" lol j/k good luck on your mods. I have been for warned these can become money pits when talking performance, but I love them!!!

Back