Engine is VERY loud

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett1994warrior

Reaction score
Hey,
I just finished installing my HMF exhaust w/ powerbomb header. I kinda thought the engine was loud berofe, but this just helped me realize it is. It did not get any louder by adding the new full exhaust, but it helped me realize how loud it is. This is my first quad so if this is a dumb question I am sorry. It is so loud when I rev all I hear is the engine not the pipe. I have researched and watched youtube videos, mine is so much louder than the videos. I am unsure of why. I played with my mixture screw (as I just re-jetted my carb,, did not touch needle or pilot just went to the only size main the stealership had (155).) I had it all the way in then 2 1/2 turns out. I can make it quiter the more I unscrew it, but too far out it backfires. Still louder than it should be with the screw so far out it backfires..... My wife has camera at work. I can make a video of it if nessecary. What could this be. Seems to run good (still waiting on rotor from e-bay so have not run since re-jet). When I bought it the guy said it was a coldstart. You have to pull the choke all the way out and let it warm up no matter temp outside. It will die if you push the choke back in. Anyways jsut wondering if this is something bad,.......... thanks in advance!!!

Loud like how? Is it Idling high? Are the valves ticking real bad. Its is a vibration sound?

Your posts confuses me....Is you carb jetted properly now? The way I read it, it isn't.

All i did was add a 155 main (all stealership had) Did not touch other jet, or needle. The quad was loud before I touched carb. It sounds partialy reved all the time. Even with the choke 100% in it sounds as if I was holding the throttle a little bit and keeping it in the same position....

Then tune down your idle for starters. These things can actually idle pretty low/slow if you bump um the pilot. If you hear vibration, check all you mounts; upper and lower. Also try to rock the engine. If it moves at all with out the frame moving with it, you got loose bolts. the engine needs to be stuck in that frame to spec and just a tad past for safe measure.

hmmmmm you gotta remember that the main jet only affects TOP END... it has absolutly nothing to do with idle... so therefore something else had to have changed (probably accidentally)... im not sure what to think about this with out actually hearing it.. but i wouldnt be suprised if somehow your idle got turned up and thats the only problem.... did you try turning the idle down? i dont mean to insult you if you know but it is the biggest screw on the left side of the carb... you can turn it with your hand.... try to turn that down once and see if the motor calms down.... like i said before you should see NO difference in idling due to a main jet swap

So turn mixture screw out more, and maybe bump up a pilot size?? I can give the screw a try will have to locate a pilot stealership had none!! Also I was aware of the main jet only affecting 3/4 full throttle, was doing this before re-jet.

Woahhhh, You know that the air-mixture screw and idle screw are two different things right? Also if you up the pilot, Your most likely gunna have to bump down on the main.

@deadlast... yeah but they way i read it the motor is idling high.... which means the idle just needs turned down.... i dont know why else a motor would get "louder".... i mean if it was real lean it could be detonating... but i dunno if that is the case

carbs are soo hard to tune over the internet hahaha

i could be running lean on the pilot since the head piep and slipon were added causeing it to idle high and therefore make more noise.... but i dont really hear of ppl having the change pilot jets much after anytpe of exhaust changes.... now granted maybe some of them should and i did (to lessen backfireing coming down from throttle)

generally from what i see if an exhaust change is goign to affect the pilot jet it does so very minimally (at least on the warrior) therefore i dont think that it is sooo lean that it is causing an high idle.... and am blaming simply the idle screw...

thats my extended explaination hahaha (since now im sitting soaking OT waiting on and ad to get approved her at work hahha)

Turned down. It stumbles a lot. Like sounds like its about to die any minute. It gets to making the putting sound and sometimes dies. This is what the seller referd to as a cold start. With choke out its even louder but does not die. Wondering if maybe my fuel filter is restricting gas or something??? It has a paper inside so its not the best kind, but going to get a tusk filter from rocky mountain soon!!!

Hahah, yeah kinda. Just cuz everyone's set-up is different and elevations re a bit off. There actually kind easy once you get the hang of it, specially on those stock ones. I'm gunna do a noob to the jetting post (all new people won't even read it though before they post questions, hahah)

hmmmm i updated my post a couple post up.... but now im going to ask: how much is the headpipe glowing? you might need to turn out the light and shade any windows to see it glowing actually (hopefully) it might also take 1 minute or two

you only have the hmf and powerbomb correct? what jet did the pipe manu. suggest? maybe the jet is too big? im only running a 150 with all that i have done, but i know different elevations and environments and whatnot.

Hahah, dont turn the idle down too much, it should sound steady and slow. But not to slow. If your idle is dropped, but still need to idle high to keep it running then you have jetting issues. A cold start is what the choke is for. once the bike is warm you should have to touch the choke, leave it in.

Read this to get in touch with your carborator mindset. http://www.trx450rforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=10441

blkblzr01 said:
you only have the hmf and powerbomb correct? what jet did the pipe manu. suggest? maybe the jet is too big? im only running a 150 with all that i have done, but i know different elevations and environments and whatnot.

lets stay away from main jet sizes for now ::)

Egggh, I think his jetting is off still though. That vibration nose is something you deff wanna fix before anything else!

i didn't suggest that he go fiddling with the main. i only asked what the pipes manufacturer suggested. ;) 155 is a bit too much for just header and pipe me thinks. he didn't specify any other mods like intake, etc either.

Back