engine has trouble turning over

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbillyrider

Reaction score
i have a 96 warrior that runs great. my problem is that even with a new battery it dont want to crank over once it comes up on the compression stroke. like the battery is real weak. does the same with jumper cables hooked to it. if i physically turn it just past the compression it will crank over and fire right up. used a compression gauge and it has 155lbs of compression. do they have an auto decompression on them? if so maybe its not working

Could be a Bad starter. Same thing happened to me. Take out the starter (3 bolts, the two that hold it on and the one that attaches the wire) and bench test the starter. You basically use jumper cables, hook the ground the the body of the starter and hook the positive to the wire post on the starter. Hook the jumper cables to a battery. It should turn over pretty fast. If it doesn't, either rebuild or replace the starter.

I would also guess weak starter. They are pretty cheap from DB Electric on ebay.

Back