eletrical problem

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyler

Reaction score
hey idk what the deal is but i was out riding for a while and then stoped for about 30 minutes and would not start. got it back to the shop and i am getting no spark. so the question is what could be wrong the coil or the cdi? or something else?
Thanks

could be a bunch of stuff you have to run down thru the typical dianosis method....

1. check stator resistances, if that doesnt work
2. check coil resistances, if that doesnt work
3. change plug, if that doesnt work
4. check switches, if that doesnt work
5. look for broken wires, if that doesnt work
6. buy a new cdi, if that doesnt work
7. shoot yourself

I had the same problem! Turned out to dirty connectors could not say which ones as after being towed back to camp I had a few adult beverages and began cleaning all the connectors I could find and have not had the problem since! I used carb cleaner and a toothbrush and upon reinstalling them I used a product called deoxit. Deoxit is available at industrial electric supply houses and really works though a little pricey @ 15 dollars a can. I am sure there are other products which will work as well. As far as the stator goes I have seen them go out and the bike can be pull started but will not start on its own. I have never been around a cdi which went out that was not readily evident (smoke, burn marks, etc) but that would be another area to check. If cleaning the connectors, and pull starting does not work I would try swapping the cdi before I bought one as the generally are nonrefundable.

There are some which come from the stator on the left side, 3 I think, over the back tire close to the solenoid and some more under the hood. I don’t remember pulling any plastic besides the hood. Also check the ground on the motor along with battery connections

No, the solenoid won't keep you from getting spark. The only thing the solenoid controls power to is the starter.

ok that makes since.. but i still can not figure out what is wrong with it i have checked the cable that goes from the negative side of the battery to the engine and the connections on its fine i just replaced the ignition coil and the battery and still nothing!

First off, do you have a service manual? It has troubleshooting steps and gives directions and specifications for testing things like the stator. It's going to be much easier with that in front of you, it has diagrams that show what the pin-outs on the connectors are and what the resistance should be between them.

You'll also need an ohm meter, a digital multimeter will work the best/easiest. If you don't have one, hit up harbor freight if you can, they have ones for under $5 that actually work very good.

ya i have the meter but not the manual... can you tell me how to check it

I'll email you a Manuel tomorrow. I'm of really no help in the electrical department, unless you need help hook a car system up or wiring a house.

deadlastracing said:
I'll EMAIL you a Manuel tomorrow. I'm of really no help in the electrical department, unless you need help hook a car system up or wiring a house.

I saw your post looking for a replacement stator. Do you actually know that you have a bad stator? Don't go throwing parts at it until you actually test the parts and make sure they're bad, there's no sense replacing things that could very well be in good working order, especially something that can be as costly as a stator. There's a bunch of things that could be causing your problem, you just got to do some troubleshooting.

ya i know i was just putting that thread out there so anyone that has an extra stator could tell me and then i could buy it from them if i needed to.

hey yamarider i got the email but i cant find the troubleshooting page or anything about the stator?

Look at the table of contents, under the electrical chapter. I can't remember exactly what it's listed as, maybe under ignition system, but I know it's in there because i've used it already. I don't have the manual on this computer so I can't pull it up and tell you what page it is. If you still can't find it let me know and i'll fire up my service laptop and find the right page. (I have a laptop I use only for working on quads, with a bunch of service manuals and the software for programming my Raptor's fuel curves)

Back