Electronics are pissing me off.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giraffe02

Reaction score
When I press the start button my quad doesn't even attempt to start. No solenoid click or anything. No noise at all. I hear a click when I flip the key. My headlights work fine. My neutral indicator light also won't illuminate. The electronics on this thing have been messed up from day one and it is really getting on my nerves. I haven't been able to start it successfully since I bought the thing in February. Anybody have any ideas?

Try jumping the solenoid with a screw driver. Ive had that prob before and the solinoid was the colperate. If the start button not doing anything then theres gotta be a bad ground or break in a Hot wire in between the solenoid and button.

check your fuse and check your grounds make sure they are nice and clean to the frame

I have been jumping to solenoid to start it since I bought it so I know for a fact that it works doing it that way. Plus the solenoid and battery are brand new.

Then here comes the bitch part, take the whole harness of and tak all the tape and wire loom off and inspect every inch of the wires for a break or bare wires grounding to the frame.

Well if your good with working on stuff its not that hard just time consuming. I personally can strip all the plastics off, and the harness in about 30 min. But ive done it sooo many times. I say about an hours or so. If you do do this just make sure and spend sometime inspecting the harness good.... have you taken the kill/light/start apart and cleaned the contacts?

Yeah I'm good at working on stuff. I should probably set aside a good couple of hours just in case. I hate not finishing projects. Could a short also explain why my battery always dies after being charged?

The starter switch assembly is the one I bought from you. I don't wanna take it apart because that is the reason I had to buy another one anyways.

Yeah I'm good at working on stuff. I should probably set aside a good couple of hours just in case. I hate not finishing projects. Could a short also explain why my battery always dies after being charged?

The starter switch assembly is the one I bought from you. I don't wanna take it apart because that is the reason I had to buy another one anyways.

Ahh ok. Not sure why your battery would die like u explained, i dont think a short would drain the battery, it would just blow the fuse.

Well the fuse wasn't blown I just replaced it in order to rule that out so I don't think that's the problem but basically I charge my battery with a charger and it'll allow me to gap to solenoid to start it and then I'll ride it around and when I shut it off and go to start it again, the battery is dead.

for your battery, check the 3 white wires that are connected to your stator, they are for charging your battery. I would just pull the harness and check them along with everything else. And don't forget to check the wires on the other side of the harness plugs (like the ones that run to your stator).

Alright so here's an update. I took apart all of the electronics. Replaced all of the electrical taped connections and cleaned them up nicely. The only thing I noticed is that my relays are kind of fishy. One of my relays ( the one closest to the back that is next to another relay) has one wire sticking out of it. I shoved it back in there but I have a feeling that the relay itself is busted. Could this be causing any of my problems? I also checked the voltage through the entire harness and found that everything has voltage. When I checked the voltage on the starter I found voltage but as soon as I tried to gap the solenoid to start it, the voltage went to 0. The spark plug is also shot but I don't think that has anything to do with anything.

p_00188.jpg

p_00187.jpg

Alright I got the whole thing back together, charged the battery, and somehow the things starts right up no problem. I even shut if off and started it again a good 10 times in a row and the thing had no problem. I am so happy.

Back