Electrical Issue that I cannot resolve!!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwatson

Reaction score
Hey all... This Quad runs great (1987 Yamaha Warrior yfm350), it can be pull started and it did start with the start button, but it slowly over a few months just stopped being able to be started electrically. Was just getting sluggish, thought it was the Battery at first. With that said, I have checked and changed out the following....

1. Battery reads 12 volts with a volt meter
2. Just changed the starter solenoid - with key on, reads 8.63 volts off terminals.
3. Just put in a brand new stator - connected the non harnessed wires as follows: green to red and brown to brown.

A. tested starter by touching negative lead of volt meter to negative terminal of Battery and the positive lead of meter to positive terminal of starter. The volts read 3.45 and when I hit the start button, the volts did not change.

B. When the start button is pressed... there is no sound from the starter solenoid but there is a relay right behind it that is making a click and buzz sound. There are two relays back there and I switched them out and still got the same result.

C. there is a small red wired coming off the larger Positive Battery terminal on the starter solenoid. this wire was cut at on point.... so I separated this wire and then when I tested the volts at the solenoid.... it went up to 12 volts again. I believe it goes to the first relay behind the starter solenoid.

D. People keep mentioning a FUSE... but I cannot find any fuses in the harness.

Summary.... this quad did start up with the start button, although hard, and then gradually just won't.

I thank you for any assistance you can offer. :tup:

Last edited:
The small red wire you mention coming off of the positive terminal of the starter solenoid connects to an inline fuse. This is the fuse that you can not find and it sounds like it is your issue (or at least one of them). I would recommend finding a wiring diagram so you can look over the whole quad's electrical system to find any other missing wires, etc.

Wiring Diagram for 87' warrior 350

I did find a diagram, but it says that the "blue" wire goes to fuse. I'm going to tear it all apart and start from scratch.

Check my albums for wiring diagram if anyone out there needs it.

Back