Edelbrock tuning Problem

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstcriusen1

Reaction score
OK.......I was tuning my carb this afternoon.........

Heres the deal, I started off with the settings they suggested. 12 clicks out, 18 needle and 2 1/2 turns out on the pump shot.

12 out on the low speed was a little rich, so I went to 15.......Still burned with some soot on more thane half the insulator n all............Clicked it out to 17. MAde the plug looked nicer but had a lean idle down delay coming 0ut of rpms's ...............So went back to the 15 clicks out.

Ok I know your suppose to check WOT first but iI had a 2 mile strecth of road to check the 0 to 1/3 throttle on and didnt wanna kill new plugs for the low spees test since I was able to get a good burn test with the amount of time I was able to r un it for the low throttle.

So I decided to play with the pump shot next.........Its virtually impossible to get rid of the bog from VERY low rpm , but got it to the point where if your in some rpm, ya snap the throttle ya get a very very slight hesitaion ya cant feel but ya can here..........then it flings the front end up......Anyone get rid of that bog completly?? I couldnt , I played with it for a hour or more.

Ok onto the WOT plug chop................Now the warrior seems to run great with the 18 or 20 in it.
There is absolutly nothing on the plug at all ...........NOTHING!!!!!!!!

I ran this full throttle threw every gear until sixth was done................3 times with each needle in it. twice up a incline to slow it down riding doulbes..............and still NOTHING on the plug.......
Just a minor discoroling of the metal ,like ya hit it with a torch...........

It felt snappier with the 18 in it so i put it back.........for now.

There are no signs of it running lean at all, no popping off the throttle or nutten.........
So I'm confused..............It runs great except for a minor glitch on a hard smash of the throttle...........which seems to be out of the question to get rid of.........for some reason( I thought Edlebrocks got rid of this for some reason) I went from lean to rich on pump shot slowly trying to fix............

Anyone else have these problems at all????????? No plug readings qt WOT and the snap of the throttle glitch.............?

Also like to add ,there are no exhaust leaks or air leaks of any kind..........checked it twice :

Hmmm.......since it seems no one has had a simular problem and I cant get a good plug reading.

Maybe ya can tell me what needle are all ya Edelbrc0k owners running..................

Besides mods listed I have a K&N air filter and the lid is probabbly like half missing.
I cut it to the point it was still usable to hold the filter solidly.

When I had just the slip-on exhaust, and cut airbox lid I was using a 18E needle, I think like 10-12 clicks out from full rich. With my current mods i'm running a 20E, 10-11 clicks out. I never had to change the pump shot because it never bogged or hesitated with the factory settings.

Warriorspeed and I are running a filter and White Bros. E-series exhaust.

We just put the Edel on and went!

Stock needle, no adjustments- it was good to go.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help much..

im runing a 18e i belive i have a wb pipe and motor work done just had to do a little ajusting to it to get it just right but no pump shot work. question for anyone eles is theres as pickey for the weather change its like tuneing my frends nova up when we go to the track weather changes u got to tune it again just asking if every ones edel is like that

I got mine right when they came out, hell they didn't even give me the same needles!!! With no motor work done, the dyna, yoshi slipon and fmf header, and the PD uni setup I was running the 16E and I'm not sure about the pump adjustment. I had absolutely no bogs when I hammered the throttle. You really can't ask about other peoples needle settings, they are strictly dependent on the float bowl setting. If you read more in detail in the directions you will see that the float level adjusts your mixture. You could possibly be doing too large of turns on the adjustment screw for the pump shot, you have to be very precise for the final few adjustments. Another thing you can be doing is lugging the motor too low in revs, it'll always have the hesitation if you're really low in a higher gear and gun it. You probably need more on the pump shot, when you hammer it and it bogs it needs a larger shot. If you roll the throttle on slowly and it drowns you need less.

Well i had more time to mess around today between the drowning storms here. lol

I played with the 18 and 20 needles again. The plug still shows nothing on it in a wide open run.
I mean nutten............but i did notice this time it didnt feel quit as fast with the 20 as the 18.
Still felt dam good though. The weather was knarlyyyyyyy freeken humid also, wich is why I was probabbly able to feel some kinda differance this time.
I mean it wasnt drastic but differant..........So for the moment I think I'll leave the 20, Just to be safe. Till i can get some more time on it.

As for the pump shot thing. I adjusted it like a clock..........1, 2 3, and so on.,,,,,,,,,till I killed it with to much or to little.

Like I mentioned b4 its more like somthin ya hear, I dont think its a bog, Its more like a wierd sound on the snap of the throttle.

After further inspection on how much that thing actually squirts I can see where they got the snappy feeling to that carb.............Its like a squirt gun!!!!!

On the flip side I see it squirts throughout the entire range of the throttle,which probabbly isnt needed under any circumstance?

Do you know if the pump linkage is adjustable to lesson the travel at all? I think thats the sound I hear..........its getting just a tad to much gas in the rpms on the snap, but its needed for the lower rpm..........I didnt think it needed much or any if your already well into the rpm band?

What ya think? : )

the 20e is defintely more than you should need. I'd put that 16 in and see how it runs, but the 18 is probably going to be the best. It's easier to judge jetting by the way the machine rides than it is to make a judgement based on the spark plug.

Were you using a new spark plug for the readings? If you were, throw an old plug in and see if that takes color. I never had much luck getting readings from new plugs.

New and old............old ones came out cleaner..............made me worry........

Are you sure you don't have an air leak between the carb and rubber manifold? An air leak could make you run lean even with a rich needle in.

No air leaks for sure..........double checked it twice.............And last time with a little starting fluid and a hos e near by!!!!!!

With all my mods im runninga 20E, 2-3 clicks from full rich. But i also think i need a 21 E since im just about out of needle adjustment.

You should be running the 18 with id say maybe 10-12 clicks from full rich but thats just an estimate... are you sure you have the carb in the whole way, its hard to get it in the whole way but once its in there its in. Also do a valve adjustment if you havent in a while.

Valves are good , I checked them since I took the tank off to run the new cable for the carb.

As for the carb being in all the way..............sure is. Had to lube it up a little to get it started................Dam things are a tight fit!!!! : )

Back