Edelbrock carb: twist to thumb?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agree to the twist not being safer. There have been so many times that I can count almost biffing it with the twist throttle.. also my buddy got on and completely destroyed my fourwheeler when trying to do a wheelie. I was just happy he was ok after seeing what happened to the fouwheeler. All I have to say IMO they have no place on a fourwheeler. Love them on dirt bikes as thats what I grew up on.
There is a reason that 4 wheelers come with thumb throttles.

I think DSW was saying there safer because most of the time twist throttles have 2 cables that one pulls and the other will push if the throttle gets stuck open.. Which sometimes happens on flat slide carbs because of the high vaccum they create. Never had it happen to me as this engine isn't really all that high performance in design.

I think DSW was saying there safer because most of the time twist throttles have 2 cables that one pulls and the other will push if the throttle gets stuck open.. Which sometimes happens on flat slide carbs because of the high vaccum they create. Never had it happen to me as this engine isn't really all that high performance in design.

Yea thats what i was going for....

If you get used to a twist i do think it is all around safer. But i started riding dirtbikes and stuff. The only time its dangerous is when your hanging off the back. But i would never go back to thumb.... i dont have the control with it that i do with my twist.

agree to the twist not being safer. There have been so many times that I can count almost biffing it with the twist throttle.. also my buddy got on and completely destroyed my fourwheeler when trying to do a wheelie. I was just happy he was ok after seeing what happened to the fouwheeler. All I have to say IMO they have no place on a fourwheeler. Love them on dirt bikes as thats what I grew up on.
There is a reason that 4 wheelers come with thumb throttles.

Just curious, why do you think they are OK on a dirt bike? Doesn't everything you mention apply?

I definitely agree the twist can get away from you easier, especially if you aren't used to it, but I have learned to like mine.

For one thing, compare how much you turn the handlebars on a dirt bike when you're riding, compared to how much you turn them on a quad. When you're riding a quad those bars will turn at a pretty good angle when you're going around a sharp turn. Naturally your wrists would twist some when doing that, but with a twist throttle that'll get you all fucked up. When you're riding a bike you do a lot more of your steering based on leaning and you'd have to be going damn slow to have your handlebars turned even close to the same angle as you do on quads. That's the big difference to me.

Back