dragracing the warrior on friday. Anybody ever run there YFM350 on the strip ??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsar10

Reaction score
Hello all,
just looking for a general discussion about the above.....
I am 30 and I have not ran anything down the strip since I was 15 or 16.
Back then I ran a blaster that was mostly stock, accept rad valve, pipe, silencer, tire and OI disconnected and mixed myself. The Blaster was competitive but nothing all that great.

My family and I go to the drags a few times a year, the kids LOVE it and they would probably be jumping up and down if Dad was to race !!!

I have anxiety's though, I worry about my tree time, launch and just general protocol.

My bike is all stock accept UNI filter, jet kit, slip on silencer. That being said I think I could do pretty good . Except for three machines they are mostly stock Polaris trail boss's a few raptor 350's a Mojave a few 300 EX's. The machine that cleans house is 250R (low 9's in the 1/8) most machines there are between 15-17 seconds.
I would think I could do 14.......

Anybody here ever raced, what was your time and mods. How did you launch ?

like I said its all stock except filter, jet, silencer.
I'm not going to change anything for just a few passes. Just running it for fun pretty much.

If your just gonna do a couple runs then I don't blame ya. I wish there was a drag strip around here ive always been curious myself at what my quads would run. But like you said main thing is to have fun.

our local DS (beaver springs dragway) has "Friday Night Street Racers". This is really the only time I go to the drags, its the most fun. You can run anything that is or is not street legal. Its great and only $10 "a car load" entry fee !!

Man, I don't even know where to start. Most of the quad races I've seen are 330' but that's usually on sand or dirt. I have a feeling you're going to run out of breath before you get down the track. The key would be to gear it so it comes through the traps just passed wound out. You would need to gear it just right man, then the problem becomes not having enough power to really get moving. Idk.

Last edited:
I know weston has been running his I forget what his times were though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9310 using Tapatalk

Walle runs a 11.2 @55.3mph in 1/8th mile but the jetting is off and my jumps arent spectacular. if i ever got a perfect jump i could turn a 10.9.

launch is the only hard part. hold the foot brake and slip the clutch to tighten it all up.

i was just winding out 5th when i hit the traps so 60-70 would be possible i a quarter.

i got jets to finish the tuning on walle and ill run again.

I don't try to ride on a drag race like it's a automatic drag car with a stall, it's not. Play with getting it to jump out of the gate with throttle, weight distribution, etc. If it wants to wheelie out a Lil bit let it, you're going to get a better Holeshot that way, just my experience. I can nail down a pretty good Holeshot on my bike to where it'll pull the wheels about a foot off the ground and just leave like a mofo. Besides, it's gonna bite on the track so let it, you don't need to slip the clutch.

They got a dragstrip down the road from my house with the same setup. 1/8 mile 20 bucks to race all night the only thing you need are good tires (obviously) boots, helmet and a tether kill switch like on jet ski's. Only thing you need to be worried about is keeping the front down. Watched a guy on a brand new 450 backflip it off the line cause he pop'd the clutch at around 6000.

I don't try to ride on a drag race like it's a automatic drag car with a stall, it's not. Play with getting it to jump out of the gate with throttle, weight distribution, etc. If it wants to wheelie out a Lil bit let it, you're going to get a better Holeshot that way, just my experience. I can nail down a pretty good Holeshot on my bike to where it'll pull the wheels about a foot off the ground and just leave like a mofo. Besides, it's gonna bite on the track so let it, you don't need to slip the clutch.

Agreed. You road a mean wheelie off the line at Hatfield. Problem is, people's confidance level. Some have it, some don't. Most all good launches are when the front end comes up a bit. Every machine has it's sweet spot.

Only thing you need to be worried about is keeping the front down. Watched a guy on a brand new 450 backflip it off the line cause he pop'd the clutch at around 6000.

That's because the dude over revved it before launch. Everyone thinks it's full throttle, or nearly.

walle i launch around 2500rpm and it will hold the nose about 6 inches through 3rd and then it settles down and runs. any higher and it stands straight up. i still set on the gas cap launching at 2500rpm with 15-38 gearing on 18s

Walle runs a 11.2 @55.3mph in 1/8th mile but the jetting is off and my jumps arent spectacular. if i ever got a perfect jump i could turn a 10.9.

launch is the only hard part. hold the foot brake and slip the clutch to tighten it all up.

i was just winding out 5th when i hit the traps so 60-70 would be possible i a quarter.

i got jets to finish the tuning on walle and ill run again.
good advice......
your saying feather clutch to barely engaged but hold myself back with back brake, than on the light left off brake and nail it but quickly "ease" into it to keep front end at a manageable lift !! ?

walle i launch around 2500rpm and it will hold the nose about 6 inches through 3rd and then it settles down and runs. any higher and it stands straight up. i still set on the gas cap launching at 2500rpm with 15-38 gearing on 18s

You should see the guys race 3 wheelers. Their heads are touching the front fender on launch!

good advice......
your saying feather clutch to barely engaged but hold myself back with back brake, than on the light left off brake and nail it but quickly "ease" into it to keep front end at a manageable lift !! ?

Too much to remember man. I'm not saying that Westons way is wrong, he knows his bike, he's rode allot and he's learned how to manage his bike. YOU should learn your own style, I'm oldschool, I ride like I drive and I've had some hot cars with good suspension and good tires. If you learn your rev range, where you're bike makes power, how you need to react to that particular Torque curve, etc, you can bring your bike out I the throttle, let the clutch shock the suspension and ride that bike man. In drag racing the less you have to think about and manage the quicker you'll be.

Too much to remember man. I'm not saying that Westons way is wrong, he knows his bike, he's rode allot and he's learned how to manage his bike. YOU should learn your own style, I'm oldschool, I ride like I drive and I've had some hot cars with good suspension and good tires. If you learn your rev range, where you're bike makes power, how you need to react to that particular Torque curve, etc, you can bring your bike out I the throttle, let the clutch shock the suspension and ride that bike man. In drag racing the less you have to think about and manage the quicker you'll be.

Amen to that!!!^^^. You just have to find YOUR happy place, and your bikes, and ride that bitch. Like James said, they less you have to think about, the better your run will be. It's all about reaction time, and swiftness.

Back