Double oil coolers!!??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the problem i see is the oil pump not providing enough pressure with all that oil line and coolers and still having to pump it through the motor. in theory it's a good idea to keep your oil as cool as possible BUT with all the oil line you WILL loose pressure and thats not good. People run into the same problem on hot rod cars trying to run a remote dual filter and oil cooler. it's just not possible for the pump to maintain enough pressure. I would personally be scared of the pressure loss myself.

That being said, the way a lot of hot rodders get around it is to add an external electric booster pump... Same principle could apply to a quad...

Or basically that as you add lines and a cooler it adds restriction to the system causing pressure drop and flow to drop.

As beastly said, it's really not worth it.

Warriorgirls example is very good, but an easier way to explain it frictional loss of the oil pressure...

well i was going for it in a way anyone could understand :p.

and on the external booster it'd have to be something that would only add a few PSI because these things aren't designed to run at probably 10psi. thats why lost oil pressure would be more critical on this small of an engine. where as a v8 idles at anywhere from 5 to 15 psi and up to 60 WOT these things pretty much run alot closer psi ratio probably only gaining a couple psi at WOT. thats my theory anyway

somebody should build a high output oil pump for the wardog

these MAY have a bypass spring in them that could be changed to offer higher oil pressure BUT i DO NOT recommend tampering with the oiling system... ESPECIALLY the source of it

well i was going for it in a way anyone could understand :p.

and on the external booster it'd have to be something that would only add a few PSI because these things aren't designed to run at probably 10psi. thats why lost oil pressure would be more critical on this small of an engine. where as a v8 idles at anywhere from 5 to 15 psi and up to 60 WOT these things pretty much run alot closer psi ratio probably only gaining a couple psi at WOT. thats my theory anyway

Good point... Wonder if the existing oil pump was bypassed, and only an electrical pump was used at a constant pressure, if it would be any better...

bottom line is if you want to cool your oil more is put a damn fan on it and run it off a relay and use an adjustable electronic thermostat to control when it comes on

Good point... Wonder if the existing oil pump was bypassed, and only an electrical pump was used at a constant pressure, if it would be any better...

again tampering with the oiling system other than a single cooler is not a very smart idea. your just asking for cam lobe failure or burnt rings... it's just as simple as that. if you want more cooling do as i said in my other post.

OR take a cylinder to a machine shop and have the cooling fins cut off and then custom tig weld a water jacket to it and water cool that bitch

I've thought of twin coolers but slightly different execution. I wanted to run two smaller power steering type coolers having each one mounted vertically on the frame somewhere towards the front.

thats the plan.. i'll be running 2 3x6 coolers set up like dirt bike rads with aluminum air ducts braided lines with 180° Fluid Control Thermostat bypasses on both set ups and a pressure gauge to keep an eye on things

Exactly what warriorgirl said. It would be to much line and take pressure away. Even with 1 cooler the oil pressure will be some what lower than a warrior motor without a cooler. It was a good thought 2 years ago haha

again tampering with the oiling system other than a single cooler is not a very smart idea. your just asking for cam lobe failure or burnt rings... it's just as simple as that. if you want more cooling do as i said in my other post.

OR take a cylinder to a machine shop and have the cooling fins cut off and then custom tig weld a water jacket to it and water cool that bitch

Damn good idear there!

Back