Does this sound right?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorkid23

Reaction score
I have the head on my warrior off and getting new valve seals installed. Some guy that works at a shop is doing it on the side for 40 bucks. So I dropped the head off to him yesterday with all the new seals, last night he sends me an e mail saying that one of the valve guides broke. Do they break that easily when doing valve seals? He said he can replace it for another 15 plus the cost of the part.
Does that sound about right??
Thanks
Justin

Well to me valve guides and valve seals are the same thing. The vavle stems runs up inside a seal which I call a valve guide, that part goes bad you get the smokeing on start up in some case. Somebody else will chime in a bit.

i have the same prob with my 87. it smokes on initial start up and clears after its warmed up. the head was rebuilt 2 years ago and the valve guide was broke also.... i think the seals might be bad already??

Sounds like the guy is sloppy, but your also getting cheap labor, so it is what it is in this situation.

valve stem runs up in the valve guide. guides break from the engine getting hot, general wear & tear or top end failure. happens in every engine. easy way to bust a guide is to drop a valve and the piston mashes it into the head. happened to mine. look at it this way, with the extra 15 bucks, youre still 20-30 cheaper than what youd be getting charged just for labor at a shop.

Yea thats what I figured too. Hopefully now this thing will run pretty good and not smoke. Just need to get the exhaust all figured out now lol.

Back