Do I need a top end rebuild?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbounds

Reaction score
Hey guys I know I'm probably going to need a rebuild either way but just wondering if you would know if I need to do the piston and rings or just the valves in the head. I ran it a while back and it was smoking I would say worse than a 2 stroke. Burning through the oil. I'm not sure which rebuild I will need. If you can let me know it would be awesome so I can get back up and running. Also where is the best place to get a rebuild kit??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the time

Generally if it smokes when you first start it and clears up its the valve guide/seals. If it smokes all the time like you said it will probably at least need new rings and a cylinder honed. It may need a new piston, rings, and it may need to be bored out depending on cylinder condition and piston condition.

Is it hard to hone the cyl? Never done it before. And if I do that will I need to get bigger rings or anything?

don't buy a new piston kit until you pull it apart and see if it's a stock size piston and jug then depending on how bad the cylinder walls are you can usuallybe safe and go with a 83.5 mm Wiseco 10.25:1 piston kit stock is 83mm so it would be going a half mm bigger then after you buy the piston kit take the piston and jug to the shop your gonna have bore and hone the cylinder so they can match the cylinder to the piston

Is it hard to hone the cyl? Never done it before. And if I do that will I need to get bigger rings or anything?

Its not that hard too hone a cyl and if you don't want to hone it your self an engine rebuilder would probably do it for a reasonable price. If all you have to do is hone the cylinder and the piston is ok you will need new rings that are the same size as your piston.

Yea I want to try and save as much as I can I'm very mechanically inclined just never had to dig into an engine this far yet. It should be all stock owned it since almost new and last owner didn't do any engine work to it. Trying to avoid going to an engine rebuilder as much as possible . What am I looking for in the piston? Holes and marks that technically shouldn't be there correct? Pretty straight forward I assume

You need to see how badly the piston is scored. If it's barely scored, then you can just get a standard bore Wiseco 10.25:1. If it's badly scored. you may have to bore out and buy a Wiseco 83.50mm 10.25:1.

Back