Dead Warrior??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfe210

Reaction score
hopefully you guys can help me out here. I'm trying to put a friend's warrior back together and I can't get it to start. I've got a charged battery, but when I hit the starter button it just clicks once (solenoid?) then nothing. Even when I bridge the solenoid with a screw driver nothing happens. Had it spin over once, really slowly, but it won't even do that at this point.

Any suggestions.

James

Try what everybody was telling me. Put jumber cables off a known good battery directly to the starter to see if it works. If it turns then start tracing the wires, if it doesn't then your starter is probably weak. I was having the same problem as you.

^ thats the best way to dignose a starter issue if starter turns its good if not get a different starter you could also take it out to test like that

hey guys, sorry for the delay. Tested my starter with jumper cables: With ground to foot peg, starter will spin with direct contact to battery. Still does nothing but click if I try to use the starter switch though. Any suggestions. I'm thinking the starter solenoid may be bad??

Yep you got it. If you can bypass the solenoid with jumper cables directly from the battery to the starter, and it works, then the solenoid went bad. You can confirm one more way if you wish, by taking an old screw driver and touching the 2 posts together where the battery cables attach to the solenoid. If it cranks, then its the solenoid, if it doesn't, then it could be a bad connection/ground somewhere.

Can't confirm it's a bad solenoid until you know that it's getting a signal when you push the start button. Unplug the small connector going into the solenoid, and probe the 2 terminals on the wiring with your volt meter, set to read DC voltage. When you push the start button you should read about 12 volts across those 2 contacts. If you're getting voltage there then it's a bad solenoid. If not, it more troubleshooting in your future.

Well, now I'm thinkin' maybe it's a combination of things. I've had the starter out and it spins on a bench (I've re-wired one of the brushes inside), but when I put it back in the engine it does nothing. Terminal doesn't spark, no spinning and nothing turning in the motor.

Anybody know a good source for a rebuild kit for starter or a good (*cheap*) starter replacement?

I will also check the ground, and starter switch on the bars. Also, is there some type of safety switch for the clutch or neutral or something that could prevent the start button from working (with clutch in, now the button produces nothing: doesn't even click anymore)? ANYTHING else I should check while I'm at it? Known faults or spots for failure in the wiring, bad connections, etc?

Thanks, James

okay, making progress. After the 4th time I've pulled, stripped and reassembled the starter on this thing, I've finally got it spinning strong enough to turn over the motor.

Still, it will only work when I jump the starter directly from the battery. When I push the start button... nothing. Does anyone know a good way to test the start button/switch/wiring to see if it's faulty? Are there any relays or fuses between the start button and the solenoid? ANY other suggestions as to why the start button now does nothing...

Thanks, James.

There is a relay between the start button and solenoid. That would be clicking when you push the start button if everything was working up to the solenoid.

Next step for me would be to check that the starter button and wiring to it are intact and working properly. **** hit the fan with my warrior once for no apparent reason, just wouldn't start for me after shutting it off. It ended up being a burnt up starter button as well as the wiring going to it was cooked. I don't remember the color combinations for the wiring but the service manual should be able to help you with that. You should get infinite resistance when the switch is not pressed, when you push the button you should get a very low resistance (less than 5 ohms)

okay, where is this relay located? I don't see it, but I'm probably just no looking in the right place. Thanks, James

It's 1 of the 2 relays under the left rear fender, right next to the solenoid, shouldn't be hard to find. 1 of them is the main power relay that you should hear click when you turn the switch on, the other is the starter relay.

don't suppose there's an easy way to test to see if the starter relay is bad? Right now I don't hear any clicks when I turn the key or hit the start button, but I'm getting power to the lights so I'd think the main relay is still good. I've checked the fuse and it's still good.
Also, would either of these fuses be linked to the neutral light not working or should I just replace the bulbs?

It's not hard to test a relay, but without having one in front of me to see what type it is and what the pinouts are, I can't really help you with it. There might be something in the repair manual about it.

Back