Damn, 1 prob after another

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronbo422

Reaction score
1st my carb woes and now a starting issue. I cleaned my carb and it's taken a couple attempts to get it all right again as far as mixtures are concerned.
But this weekend while out trailriding I killed my quad to let the family catch up and she wouldn't start again. I could hear the solenoid clicking at the rear of the seat but no spinny-spinny. Thank God wifey was there with her Big Bear and tow strap to get my dumpy Warrior running. But then back at the trailer it started on its own again. I killed it and it wouldn't spin over. Just solenoid clicking.
Has anyone ever had this happen? I haven't got a chance to get the multimeter out and check the starter voltage. I don't know if it's a bad solenoid or starter motor locking up. It will turn over about every other time I hit the button. It reminds me of old Fords with bad solenoids. You just hear the solenoid clicking, but no cranking.
Looking at going out again this weekend and would rather have a dependable quad for somemore exploring. HELP!!!

Thanks guys,
Ronbo

lol i had to get towed this weekend too, ive got headlights, but when i hit the starter it dosent dim them at all or crank over. I'll let you know if I find out whats wrong.

I got my trusty Fluke out tonight and sheked her out. I got 12 volts to the starter when the button was mashed, but no cranking....just clickin'. So, with a loving tap of the end of the screw driver the starter kicked to life, and so did the bike.
Now I need to see if Yamaha sells a rebuild kit for the starter. Anyone know?
Thanks,
~Ronbo

Yamaha doesn't make a rebuild kit, but i know you can get new brushes somewhere. That's usually the problem, if not then the windings in the starter are faulty and you just need a new one anyways.

I called the local Yamaha house and they want $75 (!!!!) for the brushes. Damn!!! I then found the entire rebuild kit with bearings, brushes and seals on eBay for $34 shipped. I'm gonna yank the starter apart and see if cleaning it up will help out 'til the new kit arrives. I've dealt with many DC motors in the past and sometimes just clearing out the carbon dust from the brushes will allow them to make contact with the commutator (hence the screwdriver tap). But they're probably ate up.
Thanks for y'alls input.

~Ronbo

There was a website post'd on here somewhere that had brush's on it for around $12 for two brush's.

Take note that from Yamaha, the Bursh Holder with just one brush is $55.70 + tax and the Bursh&Bolt is $14.11 + tax (are exact price's).

Take your starter apart and find out which one is worn down (usally just one of the brush's is worn out), if it's the brush on the holder, you can go buy the Brush&Bolt, cut the wire off right at the bolt and switch the old one on the holder to the new one you just cut off the bolt. That is if you want to ride tomorrow or sunday. If not, just find the website and order the brush kit (one bush for the holder and a brush&bolt) for a little over $20 shipped.

One more thing to actually check is the coil spring on the holder, my quad was doing the exact same thing (acting like the battery was going dead after cranking over a few times) so i bought a new battery and it done the same thing, i took the start apart and the coil springer on the holder was broke. You can't buy just the spring but yet the whole holder, so i took a screw driver and wrapped it around one more time and put it back together, dunno how it's holding strength but it is and working fine for now.

BTW, i do have expireance with the starter's, ive rebuilt quite a few in the past 5 year's.

Hey, I had that same problem with my starter.....insept when I would push the start button and then let go, the starter didnt stop till the battery was either dead or disconected....I just optied for a new one. Got it from Parts Unlimited, and let me tell you, it starts up really quick. I also replaced the Negative and Positive Battery Wires ( Stock ones Blow ),a and replaced the Coil, " " Wire, and Plug cap. Works alot better now...but Yea, your way better off Just replacing the whole starter.

I got the starter rebuild kit off of eBay and rebuilt mine. I had to dress the commutator 'cause it was probably worn down .010 - .015". Put it back together and it works great now. The starter makes less noise now, too. I know it's not the bearing I was hearing before because the one that came in the kit was actually the wrong style. The bearing in the kit was a sealed ball type, but I have an oil-bathed torrington bearing in the nosecone. So I kept the original one in there, 'cause it still be looking goood, and just replace the other bushing, brushes and o-rings. Like I said, works great now. Best $36 I've spent in a long time. :D

Anyone have the famous metal clunking noise when they start theirs? I have that going on in mine now, I'm pretty sure it's the starter clutch but not sure. I'm going to rebuild the starter this winter also, I'm sure it needs it by now.

Anyone have the famous metal clunking noise when they start theirs? I have that going on in mine now, I'm pretty sure it's the starter clutch but not sure. I'm going to rebuild the starter this winter also, I'm sure it needs it by now.

Clunking is the starter clutch.

I looked at the HyperParts link posted above and they also show the sealed ball bearing in the Warrior starter rebuild kit, but my Warrior has the Torrington bearing. I then looked at the kit for the Big Bear it shows the Torrington bearing in the rebuild kit. I'm wondering if I have a Big Bear starter on my Warrior. My wife rides a Big Bear so I may see if there's anything familiar about the two starters.
~Ronbo

Back