Crate Warrior

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bart

Reaction score
I just joined your website today. I have always like Yamaha since my uncle had an MX or YZ 360 when I was little. I have never owned a Yamaha until last week due to having to buy things by affordability and availability of good deals. When I sold a CR a few weeks ago I saw an add for a Warrior that seemed really good.
As it turns out the owner was completely honest and even reneged on a CD rom manual for it and the engine has problems that he did not tell me of. I still think it has good potential but I myself am not sure what to do at this point.
So at this point I was told the engine needed put in time. I did that but then could not get any compression at all. I checked the valve clearances, they were letting complete pressure off the valves. I took the head off to inspect the bore and piston. It all looks good. I do not have a bench to mill on or to check flatness and am trying to avoid costly machine shop work as much as possible. Also I had already found assembly mistakes on the clutch release parts so I really do not know what to expect.
Here are some pic of the project.View attachment 1613

Last edited:
I have more pics, but am having trouble getting them on here

I was already reading the engine build thread by Jason? That has me a little worried about machine work and the cost

Here are a few pics of the current state of engine. View attachment 1617

View attachment 1618
So can anyone tell me if the piston is in the right direction for the offset? And what bore is that? How can I tell if the clearance is correct?

Last edited:
Oh I would like to add that I also have a Honda rancher 420 , a RM250 team Suzuki FMF GNCC race bike, and a Honda 250 R fourtrax. I never could find an affordable banshee or YZ or wolverine lol

Problem found

I was going to take everything to a shop and have them fix it but the guy was to busy , probably fixing fuel lines on lawn equipment. However when I was showing him the head ,in sunlight, I noticed the intake valve was not seated. I think that is the whole problem. So now I am wondering about what cam may be in the head, if one of the many extra valves will work, and I really want to try to get a deck height of .040 like jasond says I need. Also I am considering using the 50 over piston and another jug if it is bigger than I have in it currently.
Can anyone give any advice on anything? I bought more tools today also. I bought a valve spring compressor, a straightedge/stainless ruler and a honing stone drill attachment. I plan on using a drimmel to clean out and maybe port the intake and exhaust valves. I'm still not sure why the valve is bent. Perhaps turning it over without being in time bent it? Should I be looking at the flywheel key? What is this vitos key I keep hearing about? Can I get the flywheel off without a special puller?
I would love to share photos but somehow I can't get them to upload to this site from photobucket, and from the computer directly it doesn't want to work. Even in galleries it only let me upload 6 pics, then will not give me the option to upload anymore to a continued gallery.

I saw your 6 pics. Tryn to help ya if I can. The warrior looks good. Nice frame. No carbon build up on the piston. Where are you from? And what exactly do you need help with?

Well I just found the answer to one question. The piston currently installed is a standard bore size by wiseco with 10.25 compression. I have one that is stamped 50 0ver that is also domed. What kind of power is to be gained by the slightly bigger bore?

Well I just found the answer to one question. The piston currently installed is a standard bore size by wiseco with 10.25 compression. I have one that is stamped 50 0ver that is also domed. What kind of power is to be gained by the slightly bigger bore?

No distinguishable power would be made with a piston only .050 over. It would be better to keep the wiseco that's in it

I am currently in Murfreesboro TN. I do have two other cylinders, one has to be for the 50 over piston. Would it be worth the power gain?

The other piston, besides the stock one, has 0.50MM , 4419P2 , XC then on the edge it has A74G6 View attachment 1629

Last edited:
Back