Crate warrior tuning/troubleshooting

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bart

Reaction score
Now I have it running and adjusted the idle up and it runs much smoother but now the carb started leaking out the very bottom. Just running out. I tightened a screw there and it stopped momentarily but started again. I noticed the screws on the side cover of the carb all came loose and one fell out, I replaced it and tightened the ones I can get to, will have to take it off to get the top ones. The engine is quieter after using 93 octane gas, but still a little noise. Maybe the noise is normal? Now I will have to adjust the fuel/air mix.

If you are leaking gas out the overflow tube and you have the screw tight then your float if adjusted to high.
The bowl is filling with too much gas and running out the overflow tube.

If your float is too high or too low this will also affect your carburetor performance.
Adjust the float to the proper height.

Also your float valve could be bad.

That is also correct.
Drain the gas out of your bowl then turn the carb upside down and see if you can blow air in the fuel inlet with your mouth, if you can the valve and seat is bad.

Last edited:
Back in town

I think I posted already that the cam is stock. I've been out of town awhile and now am back to get this warrior in shape. I found a huge oil leak, the seal had been forgotten on the stator. I found one in the parts, as well as a good intake valve, that I already bought a new one for.
It seems I have bad bearing in the front wheels , or is there a spacer missing? The A arms seem really loose also.
The gasket must have gotten torn on the stator cover as well, it seems to sweat oil a little out the top. Also it seems to smoke to much around the jug, but the valve covers and cam cover are not leaking. Perhaps the exhaust donut is no good or I need to tighten the exhaust more.
I have some grounding issues it seems, they really just started when I tried to wire in the reverse light into the lighting. It looked like the reverse light on the dash was controlled by a contact made in the reverse lever assembly. So I ran a ground to it from the new back up light. It didn't work, then it wouldn't start without it, all sorts of things were working then not working , then it wouldn't start at all until I finally pulled the clutch in. Then the neutral light stopped working unless the headlights were on. Now it went back to normal and my back-up light will have it's own manual switch.
It runs good except for fast acceleration from idle. It seems the carb may need adjustment. The carb stopped leaking out the bottom by the way. When I had it disassembled the accelerator pump was working. It will completely bogg down and quit if I just punch it. At higher Rpm's it takes it though. Maybe to much gas, but wouldn't it eventually take the gas?

I just can't believe this thing, I can't trust anything on it to be tight or right. It's not cobbled up but all loose and out of adjustment or forgotten, lol. I am much to generous in expecting people to be honest like I am when I sell something for sure.

I am very surprised and pleased at how easy a Yamaha is to work on, for the most part.

Back