Couple warrior problems

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradbutlernc

Reaction score
im having a few problems with my 87 warrior, ill list the mods first though so you guys will know what i have.

Fresh rebuilt motor new tranny, top end, cam, etc.
Stock everything, baffle got blown out of exhaust somewhere so i dont have a baffle on it
152.5 main jet (also had a 145 in it with the same issue)
Needle at #5 position (all the way rich)
Parking brake blocked off and wires plugged together
BR8EA plug
air screw 1.75 turns out
Stock gearing with 22" rear mudlites

Ok so heres my questions, im gonna kind of list them off because ive got a bunch

First off, is there a washer that goes under the main jet like in some mikuni carbs? My main doesnt have a washer under it.

Theres a little brass rod in the opening of the carb towards the air filter, im assuming this has something to do with the accell pump. Theres a little hole that squirts gas out of it, which way should this hole be squirting the gas? Right now its squirting it straight out of the carb towards the air filter.

The main problem here is the warrior wont top out for anything, doesnt bog or sputter at all but i can tell its not turning the RPMS it should in 6th gear, also takes a long ass time to get there with shifting and all (maybe this is a 4 stroke thing and i think its slow because im used to 2 strokes, not sure) because 6th on the warrior is equivelent to the top of 5th on my blaster (maybe 50-55 mph) yes i have a few mods on the blaster (drag porting, big carb, geared, etc) but its my understanding that with the gearing on the warrior it should do atleast 60 in topend and should have me beat/be somewhat close in top speed, not sure how fast the blaster goes but im gonna say around 60-65 with the gearing i got. What size jets should i be running with the setup on the warrior? Seems to run better richened up a bit to me but im not a 4 stroke expert or anything. I noticed if i let it sit an idle when i jam the throttle all the way it will make that loud noise (sounds kind of like a fart...like an empty sounding noise) and cut off if i dont back off the throttle. Also its hard to start sometimes, especially when its cold. Where should my air screw be adjusted to? Any advice on the needle?

Yea i know i got a shitload of questions but id really appreciate some help, i havent been able to find help on our warrior anywhere :-/ just found this site a few days ago and been learning alot.

lol, the brass piece should be squirting toward your motor not your filter ;D, thats where your cut out that you tryed to explain is coming from. you should have the needle in the middle position, and if you dont have any motor work, i would go with stock jetting which i think is 145.

thought so, lol. Its my little bros warrior so that would explain why im pretty much clueless when it comes to it :)

also put the needle back to the stock 3rd postion. Run the fuel screw so the engine will not back fire when coming down gears, rpm with the throttle off. If the fuel screw is to lean then you know this is what the problem is also when the engine is cold it will tend to back fire through the intake.. then just back the fuel screw out a 1/4 to half turn until this goes away.

With the washer missing under the main you will need a bigger jet for it to run right because of the tappered needle.

If you put the stock size jet in with out the washer you will be running it lean.

Back