Couple issues

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supercrewzn

Reaction score
My 01 is having a couple issues I'm not sure about.

When starting cold, will not start with choke in/out. You must use staring fluid.
Once running, it runs decent but will pop through carb and exhaust.
Header glows red.
Carb was just rebuilt.

Bike runs fine until you disconnect battery and put in gear, then it dies.
Charging issue?

While starting, something is making a clank noise inside motor.

Any help appreciated!

Clank is the starter clutch, it seems to be running really lean. Needs to go up a pilot and a main. The disconnect battery thing makes no sense.

Needs the battery to make a complete circuit for the electronics. Why do you not have a battery?

i think he is thinking of cars when you disconnect the battery to see if the alternator is bad. doesnt work on the quads!

I have a battery now. When I bought it, there was no battery but you could roll it off and ride it. Now you can't do that.

Ill check the jets I pulled out when I built the carb.

i think he is thinking of cars when you disconnect the battery to see if the alternator is bad. doesnt work on the quads!

Yes it does. Any quad with a battery is essentially the same set up as an automobile. Completes the ciruit. You can ran a car without a battery, as long as the alternator is good. But, it puts stress on the alternator and other electronics.

I'm guessing you have to pull flywheel to replace starter clutch??

Clank is the starter clutch

Mine makes this noise. Instead of starting it clanks and starter kicks out/stops turning. Or I let off button when it coughs/ tries to start, doesn't start and makes clank. Rest of time cranks and starts as it should. Is this starter clutch? Which parts should I buy? Expanded view shows 10 parts. Some are washers but not sure which others i should buy/replace while I am in there. Also DO I need flywheel puller?

Without opening it up and seeing what's shot you won't know, but yes a flywheel puller is needed. My quad did the same thing so I know its the starter clutch..

Mine clanks most of the time. I've figured out that you can hold throttle half way and it won't clank.

Back