Clutch problem, different then slipping!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michiganrider

Reaction score
I finally got this thing running good after a new piston, and carb rebuild. Now to the problem....
I have to let the clutch lever out all the way before it starts to move. Feels like its not in gear! Once you get it moving, you can go through the gears and it pulls good. Doesn't seem to slip at all. Also the clutch pull is hard. Not sure if this is normal or not?
Does this thing need a new clutch or is something else going on?

Today I changed out the break in oil. Now if you pull the clutch in and release it, the lever stays in, then slowly comes out! Even if it isn't running. Just walk up, squeeze the lever and release it, and watch it slowly come out. I don't remember it doing that before. Any ideas?

First thing I would check is thing is the clutch cable. See if it moves freely. If it does I would start looking towards the clutch components. It could be the clutch basket or that clutch arm assembly. You could unhook the cable and take a pair of pliers to turn the clutch pivot assembly and that would tell if it's internal.

+1, sounds like the clutch to me as well. Make sure it's routed properly, and that it didn't slip out of the retainer on either end.

Well I unhooked the cable today and I can hardly move it! I can't believe how bad it is. I ordered a Motion Pro on eBay for $13.50 shipped. I'm also going to cut and reweld the arm on the clutch cover to give it better leverage. Not my idea, but sounds like it would work. I'll let everyone know the results. Last on my list is a new clutch....Going to try the easy things first!

i had to replace the clutch cable on mine about 3 months ago and WOW HUGE difference!

Will you please tell me what the raptor clutch mod is or a link to a different thread that talks about it.

From what I have seen it's a longer arm and a shorter cable. Instead of it being ran through the chassis and by the side of the motor it's ran through the chassis still but it comes through the chassis on the left side giving you a much smoother pull. I could be wrong, I still use the warrior cable and I have a dirt digger clutch and HD springs in it and I don't have no problems except having to adjust it every once in a awhile or lubing the cable. I have had the cable for about 4yrs now and I finally had to lube it. it started to stick and get hard on me. I have thought about the raptor set up but just don't have the money right now. It gets quite expensive having 2 four wheelers and going circle track racing.

I replaced the cable today and it is sooooo smooth. Plus I extended the clutch arm (on the motor) by cutting and rewelding. I made it 1/2" longer, what a difference. The cable is adjusted pretty far out right now. Still adjusting the arm, and trying to find the perfect position. The clutch lever feels a little loose but it engages 1/2 way off the handlebar so I think its pretty close.

I took my stock perch and lever off and replaced with an MSR w/on the go adjuster and i made a big difference. And isnt it said that the extra clutch plate takes some pressure off also. I havent got around to doin mine yet but i cant wait to feel the difference.

I was thinking is there some way that you could take the stock warrior clutch set up and make it work like the raptor 350 easy pull clutch set up or whatever? Cuz I can cut it weld it and modify it any way I would need to.

Back