clutch help please

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrum

Reaction score
got a new barnett clutch kit to put in the 02 warrior...the kit came with 7 friction plates and 6 steel plates and of course the springs..i took the old plates out which were all shot of course..i put the new ones in just like the clymer book had it pictured.. i tightened everything up put the cover back on and the clutch release lever at the the top of the case i moved it just to see if it was pushing in the pressure plate like its supposed to and its not. the book says the spring bolts should be tightened to 6ft lbs and my torque wrench doesnt have that small of a setting on it of course. so i just hand tighetend them...so the problem is that lever isnt working right and also when i took out the old plates they were not out as far as the new ones are.. by "out" i mean once they were in the basket and tigheted down there was like 1/4" or more of play towards the outside of the bike...the new ones fit in with no play at all....

Are you saying you put the cover on, hooked up the clutch cable and pulled the lever and it didn't push in the clutch?

am i supposed to tighten the spring bolts like a decent amount..should the springs be compressed for the most part?

Pull the C clip off the top of the lever, take the lever off and move it so that the push rod barely touches then put the lever back on.

so the push rod barely touched the pressure plate that little bearing thats in the middle?

am i supposed to tighten the spring bolts like a decent amount..should the springs be compressed for the most part?
You tighten the spring bolts with a screwdriver untill they stop then tighten with a wrench to 6ft lbs or about 40* of a turn (put the wrench handle at 12 oclock turn it to 2 oclock)

If you got the same idiot that packed my clutch kit they gave me the instructions picture but a mirror image. I had to get the instructions from here.

No need for instructions. 7 fibers and 6 steel. 2 fibers should have a larger I.D. the the other 5. Start with a regular fiber then steel and continue to alternate. In the middle you use the larger inside diameter ones with the spring ring inside of them. If you have a fiber on both ends you did it right.

yup i got it...had to move that lever it was no where near where it needed to be ..popped the c clips back on and re did my plates and its all good..thanks guys

Back