Clutch basket

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendyjo55

Reaction score
Can the wear marks be filed down on a clutch basket or is it just a waste of time? I haveing issues with the clutch engaging completly at medium to high rpms.

I took it to the shop and they seemed as confused as me. I'm starting to think there answer is always going to be replace everything. The bike starts and runs great has between 100 and 110lbs of compression but I think my riding mower is quicker.

If anyone has any other ideas please don't hesitate.

Thanks for any help.
Chris

I don't see why you couldn't just file them down, that's even what it says to do in the yamaha service manual.

I kinda doubt that's your problem though, mine did the same thing you're describing and it needed a new clutch. The clutch pads may still have material left on them, but the warrior's clutch will reach it's travel limit and bottom out before the clutch completely wears down. That's why it's recommended to throw an extra steel plate in the clutch pack when you replace the clutch, it gives a little more thickness, so it doesn't bottom out so quickly, and you get some more life out of the clutch. I suppose you could just add 1 or 2 extra steel plates to an old clutch too to get some more life out of it.

The grooves will cause the clutch to drag a little bit when pulled from my findings. I took a file to mine. I would also make sure the steels are not bent or warped. Check the pattern in them. Also the fibers must be not chunked out or anything like that. If they are I would just replace the clutch and add a small steel. Also get a little heavier springs and that would give you a little more holding power or torque capacity.

The clutch only has one ride on it but, I know that is all it takes sometimes. I will put a mic on them and see if they are in spec. I thinking I just need to replace the thing and try the extra plate. Thanks for the info.

Chris

Back