Change cam, change jets?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frit91

Reaction score
Laugh if you must, but I have to ask, If I swap out a stock cam for a S1HC, do I need to worry about my jetting?

You will need to go up 1 or 2 jet sizes most likely never used a hot cam just mega and web lol

Cams change the lobe profile the lift and duration lift being it opens the valve farther. Duration meaning it keeps the valve open longer. So the cam allows for more air intake and adequate exhaust evacuation. More air requires addition of fuel. I did have a hcs1 before but did a bunch of other stuff at the same time so I'm no help to where to start but I'd say at least one size but get the next 3.

You thinking bout getting a S1HC? Lol. Prolly bump it up one size then plug chop it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Just to help you out here and don't want them sticking junk in there engines when there are better products out there for performance.
A couple of things to look at here are lobe seperation of the hotcams and how much actual valve lash they run... Why, well because they take valve timing at ZERO lash and valve lift. Remember that. Figure that in when taking in affect the valve lift and duration! That has a huge effect. Also look at how much lobe seperation they run.. Why do that, well when the valve floats they want the cam to have a wider lobe seperation so that way they don't have and exhaust valve hitting the piston... Believe me they don't do that for performance. Also they can't run very steep valve ramps because of the usage of stock valve springs as Mega/Web, remember the faster you get that valve open to the top of the lift and hold it there and slam it down the better performing that cam will be at making HP and torque.

Their Def not top quality. The race for the inner bearing came off an I've read of others doing the same.

@ lbjamm, I was thinking about it. lol Have any suggestions of where I can find one? Besides in my mailbox in a day or so. I appreciate the info guys. I almost had myself talked into thinking I wouldn't have to touch it. Maybe I over thought it or maybe it was all that smoke I inhaled last night putting the engine fire out on my daughter's Alero. Hood insulation and burnt wires smell bad! lol.

Wouldn't ya know, in my box of extra jets, I have every size from 145 to 165 except a 152.5, and of course I am running a 150 so I don't have the next size. I hope a 155 will do it. Welcome to my life.

I installed just a web cam 84 grind and valve springs and had to go up two sizes. No other changes. I would recommend a web cam. I love the performance. I haven't tried any others though.

It's not that I didn't want to go with a better quality and higher performance cam, but Lloyd cut me a good deal on his S1HC since he is upgrading and I am on a budget, well a quad budget anyway. I appreciate all the input guys. I am glad I joined this site because you all have been great help with answers and suggestions. I am hoping I can make due with a 155 since I haven't got a 152.5, yet.

It's not that I didn't want to go with a better quality and higher performance cam, but Lloyd cut me a good deal on his S1HC since he is upgrading and I am on a budget, well a quad budget anyway. I appreciate all the input guys. I am glad I joined this site because you all have been great help with answers and suggestions. I am hoping I can make due with a 155 since I haven't got a 152.5, yet.

Oh we understand that lol. I also have a few jets laying around I might have a 152.5 I will let ya know and you can have it if I can find it.

How is the strength of the OEM valves, can the handle the lift and spring pressure of the larger web and mega cams or do they pull apart?

Stocks are fine I've never had an issue with them personally nor heard of any. If you have the money get a nice set.

How is the strength of the OEM valves, can the handle the lift and spring pressure of the larger web and mega cams or do they pull apart?

They will be fine just get a hd spring kit. If you don't you will have some serious valve float.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9310 using Tapatalk

Back