chains, chains and chain tightening - sorry no whips today ;-)

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggaloclownz187

Reaction score
LOL
Can you over tighten your chain? I just tightened mine but it seems real tight....?

Yes. you want about an inch to an inch and half play. because when there is weight on the quad or you come down from a jump the chain tightens up from the swing arm moving up. so you want them fairly loose. better too lose than too tight. if you have it that tight the first time your shocks compress you could snap your chain or wear out your sprocket.

Ya you want 1 inch of slack in your chain with YOUR weight/rider weight on it.

i always used the two finger rule..... never heard about W the rider weight thou?? should we lay on the bike and then adjust the chain/./?b

Thanks guys......

Does it get measured about half way down the swinarm, like my old dirtbikes did?

Just wanted to know, cause when i tightened it, if i grab the chain at the back of the rear sprocket it does not lift off of the sprocket at all, i went for a ride, and it seemed fine, but i dont wanna snap my chain and have it break my case or something, thats why i tightened it cause it was mad loose when i got the quad.....

Thanks again!

Yupp, check midway through the swing arm. If you give a inch and a half or two inches, you should be just fine, no need to lay on the bike. After you tighten it all up though, sit on it and see how much slop you still have, if there is some (which there will be) your fine.

Back