Case Savers...

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriortamer

Reaction score
Ok... I have been looking at case savers for other Yamahas to get an idea as I have not seen a pic of the nossmachine one. Here are my q's-

How do they work? To me they don't look as though they would protect but I am probably wrong.

Anyone have a pic of a noss one?

I only asking because looking at them, I think I can manufacture my own fairly easily. I have access to all different thickness of steel and aluminum and pretty much anything I need to fabricate basic stuff. I put together a rough idea of a chain cover/case saver today out of 1/8" steel but not really sure if it will work. I can get pics of it later tonight. Just let me know what you think and have.

Here is the pics of the case saver I put together in about 15 minutes today. Let me know if you think it would work or where it needs improving. It is made out of 1/8" thick steel.

Homemadecasesaver2.jpg

Homemadecasesaver.jpg

That's not a case saver. A case saver is a piece that goes between the chain and case which takes the impact if the chain snaps. That's just a sprocket cover.

Hmmm... anyone got a good pic of one where it goes between the case and chain? All the savers I have seen do not show that part.

I know now exactly how to turn that cover into a case saver. I will have to go back and weld a piece of curved 1/8" wide steel - 3/4" deep on the inside to "slide" in between the chain and case. I went out and looked at the cover and the case and saw exactly what I needed to do. If it goes smoothly, I may try to make a few more. Of course, they should look better than this one as this was just a quick throw together at work.

if you make some, you could probably sell them, i may talk to a guy I know to try one out of aluminum....

I don't think steel would be the best material to make one of these. The softer the material is, the more likely it is to absorb the damage and not pass it on to your case. I've even seen aluminum ones that were built too strong end up still snapping off part of the case. I think the best case savers out there are the ones that are made of plastic (not really plastic, it's some plastic-ish high tech ****). But it's a softer material than any metal, so it actually absorbs the energy of the chain instead of just passing it on to the engine case.

I don't think steel would be the best material to make one of these. The softer the material is, the more likely it is to absorb the damage and not pass it on to your case. I've even seen aluminum ones that were built too strong end up still snapping off part of the case. I think the best case savers out there are the ones that are made of plastic (not really plastic, it's some plastic-ish high tech ****). But it's a softer material than any metal, so it actually absorbs the energy of the chain instead of just passing it on to the engine case.
I agree with that, thats why I still use my stock one instead of aftermarket.

Truth is if you spend your money wizely and do maintence you won't even need a case saver. Get a good chain like a DID X Ring and keep it lubed, and you'll be fine.

Truth is if you spend your money wizely and do maintence you won't even need a case saver. Get a good chain like a DID X Ring and keep it lubed, and you'll be fine.
Never hurts to have a little bit of reassurance ;)

Yea the high resin plastic ones would be the best bet. But maintenance is reassurance in a way too.

It doesnt really matter what you put on it its still not going to protect your case that much. The warriors design just doesnt allow it to be protected. If you make the case saver too strong its just going to snap the bolts.. most likely the bottom one. Not strong enough and it will just bend into the case and snap it anyway. Not to mention the thicker you make it the smaller front sprocket your going to have to go to. I have a 15 on my right now and its pretty tight.

Like dave said..... the only protection is to keep you machine maintaned.

Back