carrier bearings

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02war350

Reaction score
High I'm new to this site and new to atv's. I recently purchased a used 02 350 warrior and after first ride done well. Next ride the chain came off. So I was instructed to buy a new rear sprocket and double o-ring chain and I did. So next ride after adjusting the chain so it was tight. The chain came off again and damage the rear sprocket as we inspected the axel had alot of play. So we changed the bearings the bearing on sprocket side was completely gone and brake side was fined but carrier and bearing spacer had deep groves on both and the spacer was extremely hard to get off the axel. Ok got all that done back together about a 2 weeks later the chain almost came off so I stopped immediately and re adjusted the chain adjusters while doing that noticed alot of play again so I took the axel out again to inspect bearings and that same sprocket side bearing was demolished again please looking for as what should be my next step and to keep this from happening again. Thanks

Hey welcome to the forum...OK slow down. Kinda hard to understand what you got going on there. Your chain keeps falling off?

Few questions to get us going in the right direction here:

How tight did you make your chain?
What brand rear bearings did you use?

Ok sorry was at work when u wrote but yes chain comes off and I used all balls bearings I tighten my chain so it's a little loose with no one on it but a little tight when I sit on it. First time it came off replaced rear sprocket and a new chain. Next time it came off noticed a Lil play in the axel so I changed the carrier bearings and yes the sprocket side bearing was destroyed bearings were rolling around in between spacer and carrier. Next time the chain almost came off I noticed play again in the axel again took axel off to inspect bearings and the same bearing next to rear sprocket was destroyed and the other bearing was fine. I thank you all for any insight or help u may have.

With you sitting on the quad, your chain should have about an inch of play in it. Sounds like you are tightening your chain too much. When your suspension compresses, you tighten your chain even more. This might mot be all the problem though...

Last edited:
Ok I will adjust my chain like that see if my bearings last so a tight chain puts more pressure on sprocket $idea bearing. Was wondering do ur chain adjustment bolts have to be eactly the same and if not the same does it put axle in a bind which could cause premature bearing wear and thanks for the info 96

Yes the adjustment bolts need to be exactly the same. If they are not, your axle and sprocket will be at an angle, making your chain pop off and other issues. And yes, the chain should never be tight. You always need some slack in the chain.

Back