carb troubleshooting help

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isamu24

Reaction score
I have a 93 warrior and i just got it it is my first one, never even had a quad before lol. it wasnt running almost at all when i got it my friend and i pulled off the carb took it apart and cleaned it. put it back together i adjusted the primary jet i think it is called back two turns and the idle as well, i didnt mess with the float settings or measure which i now know i shouldve. but when i run it it will idle with the choke pulled out but once it kinda warms i can put the choke back in. but from an idle if you jam the throttle it kinda chokes alittle and will die unless u back off but if you kinda feather the throttle up and get it goin alittle u can stab the throttle and it runs fine. someone told me they thought it might mean the float was filling too full and it was choking it with too much fuel. i dont know anything about carbs other than basics so any help would be appreciated thanks

I doubt it's the float height. These are pretty shitty carbs to begin with, even from the factory if you just totally slap the throttle all the way open it will bog out, the accelerator pump just can't keep up with it, it's too weak. It can be a pain to get them adjusted just right sometimes.

Here's a few things to check though. You can try adjusting the fuel screw in or out a little bit at a time and see if that helps, maybe a quarter turn at a time, no big adjustments.

Also check and see if the accelerator pump is working, if it's operational you will see it squirt a stream of fuel out a nozzle and down the throat of the carb from a short brass needle sticking into the bore on the airbox side. They commonly get stuck, jam up, etc. which will cause it to bog out because the pump is there to give it an extra kick of fuel when you open the throttle.

Inspect the intake manifold (rubber piece between the carb and head) for cracks or other damage. They're prone to cracking because of their design, and if they do it'll make them run like crap including bogging out under throttle like yours is.

Back