carb to use???

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imreallyquick

Reaction score
hey i was wondering what carb i should get, right now i havent even put it on the quad frame yet is a 396 stroker kit, i have kibblewhite valves, kibblewhite valve springs, port and polish and a barnett's clutch kit, so i was just wondering what carb i should buy and where to get it...anything will help me out...thanks

imreallyquick said:
hey i was wondering what carb i should get, right now i havent even put it on the quad frame yet is a 396 stroker kit, i have kibblewhite valves, kibblewhite valve springs, port and polish and a barnett's clutch kit, so i was just wondering what carb i should buy and where to get it...anything will help me out...thanks

I would try and stay in the range of 37 to 38mm. FZR, Mikuni flat slide with accel pump or you could go for a CV style which is what the raptor 350 comes with and is a good carb. E-bay is always a good place.
If you do a search there is some great info about the differences. If you want a bolt on and go no ****** around edelbrock is pretty good. If you don't mind saving a couple bucks to find all the parts your self and tune the carb then go the e-bay route. White brothers and sudco sells kits.

im new to carbs for quads, i havent even been on like any quad sites in a while because my quad has been broke almost a year and a half, so what is the difference between the raptor vs the warrior carb and what would be the best thing for my quad?

isn't that pretty much the question he just answered?

The difference between the warrior and raptor carb is the way they operate. The warrior's bsm carb has a slide and a butterfly valve to meter the fuel and air, and the butterfly valve will always be obstructing airflow and causing turbulence even when fully open. A CV carb has 2 slides, the primary one operated by throttle, and the second one, which is controlled by vacuum to open and close.

One thing I don't like about cv carbs, at least the one I have on my enduro bike, is that it doesn't have an accelerator pump, so you can't prime it for cold starts, and the throttle response is mild. I think the biggest benefit of a cv carb is smooth power delivery, which is nice on the street, but I don't see it being that great for a quad.

Flat slides are my personal favorite for off road (aside from fuel injection, EFI is the bomb). I have better luck tuning the flat slides and they seem to be more reliable. Some flat slides will have an adjustable accelerator pump so that you can really fine tune the throttle response. My edelbrock had absolutely instant throttle response when I got it tuned in right.

I'm starting to look around for one to replace the cv carb on my enduro, the kits made for my model are $350 so i'm going to do some research and see what will fit on that thing without modifying everything and going broke. Hard to justify a $350 carb on a bike I paid $800 for.

so would my quad still run good with the stocker or should i invest in an edelbrock carb???

You definitely wouldn't be getting the most out of it with the stock carb. Once you get the stocker working right it's not as bad as some stock carbs, but it can definitely be improved on. I would go with the edelbrock or some other flatslide pumper carb. The one thing I don't recommend the edelbrock for is cold weather starting. Flat-out sucks. I don't know why but edelbrock didn't feel that a choke was a necessary part of a carb, it was a real bitch to get mine fired up below 40 degrees with it and it would start instantly with the stock one because it had a choke. If I were to do it again i'd go with a mikuni or something like that.

well what i have heard from people is that they just put a ltz 400 or kfx 400 carb on these quads and they are amazing but i heard they are also really hard to put on, and i ride my quad in the winter on the ice but where can i get a fzr carb at, and what do they come off of do they have an accelorator pump???

Back