Carb Question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supplementing

Reaction score
Alright guys, I got a question about the carb. My warrior was sputtering when I got on the throttle and was having trouble idleing. I cleaned the carb and it ran perfect for about half an hour then it started doing it again. Do I need to rebuild the carb?

If not, what would cause it to run good for a bit then go to hell again? I did notice after cleaning it that even though the throttle was good(I could pin it and it didnt bog out), it still idled weird. I either had to idle it way up to keep it idleing or turn it down and work the throttle.

If I do need to rebuild, what rebuild kit should I get? All the ones I've found say 88-04, my warrior is an 87, will the 88-04 rebuild kit work? Please help me out guys, I need to get this squared away soon.

Make sure that there is no trash in the fuel. Your float level could be out of whack, that will casue idling issues. I would order a carb rebuild kit, and clean it really well again. Set your float height while you are in there, too. And, make sure that all the intake boots and intake manifold are tight, and have no cracks or splits in it.

check ur "in tank" filters too, could have **** floating around and then gettin sucked to it, i had **** on mine.

Make sure that there is no trash in the fuel. Your float level could be out of whack, that will casue idling issues. I would order a carb rebuild kit, and clean it really well again. Set your float height while you are in there, too. And, make sure that all the intake boots and intake manifold are tight, and have no cracks or splits in it.

check ur "in tank" filters too, could have **** floating around and then gettin sucked to it, i had **** on mine.

Alright guys, thanks. Im gonna go ahead an order the rebuild kit anyway(its only $22), just so I know Its all good to go. Where are the in tank filters? At the bottom of the tank or what? Also, I need the question answered..will the 88-04 rebuild kit work on an 87? It looks to have all the same stuff.

Also, how do I adjust the float level? Im such a noob, I would have my stepdad help, but he works 3rd shift and sleeps all day so Im left to figure it out on my own.

Also, how do I adjust the float level? Im such a noob, I would have my stepdad help, but he works 3rd shift and sleeps all day so Im left to figure it out on my own.

drain the tank and unbolt the fuel valve, there will be screens attached to it to clean.

clean the carb and to adjust float height there is a metal tab on the float itself you bend to adjust. the specs and pictures are in the book

also if it still runs for a while and then has problems run it without your gas cap on, it has a check valve in it and they get rusted or gummed up and will not let the fuel go down thru the hose and into the carb after a little while running

Pretty certain that the rebuild kit will work. All is same except for the slide operation, I believe. Just check the parts diagrams from the 87 to 88. I did that a long time ago, so can't remember 100%.

Alright guys, thanks. Im gonna go ahead an order the rebuild kit anyway(its only $22), just so I know Its all good to go. Where are the in tank filters? At the bottom of the tank or what? Also, I need the question answered..will the 88-04 rebuild kit work on an 87? It looks to have all the same stuff.

genpat can can answer ur rebuild ? the tank filters are part of ur fuel petcock assy, 2 screws on bottom of tank. turn carb upside down and measure from base to top of float, it should be at or slightly under 1/2 inch, 0.486-0.490 to be exact on an 87

I did. Lol. But, I can't remember the exact measurement or procedure.

genpat can can answer ur rebuild ? the tank filters are part of ur fuel petcock assy, 2 screws on bottom of tank. turn carb upside down and measure from base to top of float, it should be at or slightly under 1/2 inch, 0.486-0.490 to be exact on an 87

I typed it all in up there lol :iagree:

Alright, thanks guys. If i dont get this squared away soon, im just gonna sell the damn thing for like $650 and put that with the cash I've already been saving to buy a YZ 250.

There is no need to sell your quad for a small fuel issue.
drain & clean your fuel tank, Clean the screen. Clean out the carb. Check your fuel cap.
There really is not that much that can go wrong and it will cost very little to fix.

I vote get the yz250 depending on year!!! if i found a 2000 or up for a trade for my warrior, that thing would be GONE!!

Back