carb problems

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cocopot2002

Reaction score
just put in a carb kit on my 99 warrior, got it all put together and cranked it, idled fine but when i throttled it, it just spit and sputtered, backfired a bit. adjusted the air screw to 2-1/2 turns out and stopped the backfire but still spit and sputtered. Any clue where I went wrong. changed the air screw, slide needle, float valve, and all the o rings and gaskets. put the old slide needle and old air screw back in thinking i could retrace my steps alittle bit, didn't work. carb worked fine before I worked on it, leaked through the overflow hose when i would leave the gas on.

Last edited:
Plugged accelerator pump circuit.

It goes from the pump, through the teeny passage across the bottom of the fuel bowl (very small, easily clogged), up through the brass "straw" discharge nozzle in the venturi.
Has to be totally clean.
Verify flow with aerosol carb cleaner.

Needle height was set at the 3rd groove from the needle end. I am running a 150 main jet and a 47 pilot due to the full exhaust system I installed and the vented airbox lid. The pump is squirting fuel just not sure if it's pumping enough. I cleaned everything with carb cleaner

Most of todays aerosol carb cleaners aren't very good at "stripping" varnish, IMO. Works fine for flushing. It will dissolve the stuff that's still oily, but not the white or green "powder" pond scum that gas turns into (thanks to ethanol I believe).

I have used this with good success:
http://www.amazon.com/CC3K-Carburetor-Parts-Cleaner-Basket/dp/B000ABGA4E

Still might have to poke the orfices with a small wire to scrape them fully open, especially if the gas has ever turned or started to turn in the past (stink, or green/yellow/white deposits).

Does it sputter when stabbing the throttle, or somewhere in the low/mid/high rev range? Generally, accel pump bog is most noticeable from off idle. If it bogs halfway +/- through a gear, look to jetting...

Yes I did do the pen spring mod. My lever doesn't seem to reach all the way down to give the pump rod a gooh push, only pushes it down about 1/4 way, not a very good stream from lack of presure.I can push it down manually and get a good stream. Is there an adjustment for that? Thanks for the info on the cleamer

Back