Carb. problem or ???

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flawless

Reaction score
First post go easy, lol, gramps gave me a free 1990 warrior, (yesterday) he takes great care of everything and everything of his is in perfect condition, so... bike only runs with choke on, and dies when choke is off, he boiled the carb 3 times, still nothing, took it to the local shop big name place around here, they rebuild the carb, and it worked for a month, sat for a month and same problem, gramps bought a new carb nothing boiled it, cleaned every hole with a wire or brush, nothing, got new intake boot?? i think its called after carb before motor, and still same problem, strayed starting fluid around to see if there is a vacuum leak, and nothing, valves were adjusted, fuel was drained and and put fresh fuel, so... any other ideas, thanks in advance :???:

could be bad gas and like 98 said check the airfilter

@98 the air filter is stock i believe, its a long tube style maybe 8 inches or so long, stock air box, as far as fuel line filter do you mean, in the gas tank connected to the petcock?? there no extra filter front the tank to the carb, just a straight line, @jgray44 i think the gas should be good only cuz it has been drained and filled a few times, but new gas was put in it when i picked it up,(yesterday) i did take a few pictures but not im off to find the post on how to post pictures

Last edited:
Ok, lets see if this worked, a picture of the air filter, and the petcock with filter

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 19
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 17
What was the carb "boiled" in?
Was it TOTALLY disassembled before cleaning?

Mine did the same thing. Carb was spotless inside and out, or so it seemed. The pilot jet was plugged. Its orfice has to be the smallest jet opening that I've ever seen. I have a new, one step larger than stock, on order at my local Yamaha shop just to be safe (not to mention my header pipe glows red after 30-60 seconds of idling).
Also make sure the bowl galley (passage) is open for the accelerator pump to work correctly. I have 2 carbs, one for parts and one good one. The good one has a teeny screw in jet in the bowl itself, the other has a pressed in brass restriction. Both openings are equally as tiny as the pilot.

You could soak the carb forever, but if you don't blow carb cleaner through every opening to verify flow, you won't accomplish much. Even though you're not supposed to put anything (stainless or copper wire, etc.) through a jet, I still do. My pilot jet wouldn't open with 120psi of air, or carb cleaner/lacquer thinner/acetone... but surrendered with the wire reaming...

@moto- im not sure as to what it was boild in but my grand father did say it was some very strong stuff, im sure its somethign he has had for years now, and knowing him it most likely was fully taken apart but ill see and ask him a lil more tomorrow as i will see him for Easter, i do how ever know this is a brand new carb. that has been boiled, and its doing the same thing the old carb did, that one was boiled a few times by gramps, and was rebuilt by a local shop for 200$ or so, he just fig. pay someone to do it since he has done everything he could think of, however it did run fine for a month after getting it back from the shop, coincidence both the old carb. and the new carb. have the same problem??

Absolutely.
Same teeny jet in both carbs.
The pilot is the one beside the main, way up inside the carb body (as viewed from the bottom). Must remove it to clean it.
My bike had fresh fuel also, along with a fresh inline filter and new lines.

Unless the carb was installed by the hired mechanic, and the engine ran fine before you took it home, I wouldn't trust the paid mechanic's work either. That's why I do EVERYTHING myself.

Bottom line, you must verify that all openings flow fluid... can't "assume" anything.

edit: I just caught that it did run fine for a while. Yes, it still could've suck in a booger into a jet. I wouldn't bother soaking/boiling it, just blow cleaner through the jets, as long as you're sure the intake manifold and O-ring are airtight. Not much else there to go wrong...

Last edited:
its on my todo list haha, and i have a manual :) lol thanks again ill keep everyone updated

sounds like your get crap outta tank and line into the carb and clogging the pilot jet up .... i'd say clean the the pilot (again) and try a new line with an inline filter to stop anything in tank from getting in the carb

I agree yep I think carb needs a good cleaning and make sure all passages and jets are clear. Also I would buy an inline fuel filter from an atv shop. They cost less then 5 bucks. Then just cut your fuel line and put it in

ok cool and thanks ill pick up one of those, my gramps also said something about gas pouring from the very bottom hose on float bowl?? he said tap the carb and it should stop?? hummmm would that also be with a good carb cleaning?? this is witht he new carb.

you mean ou of the very bottom the drain plug? or the halfway up kinda one thats an overflow possible your floats are getting stuck open flooding it out?

it was what i was told, and it come out of a tube, not the screw at the bottom of the bowl, so if i said it wrong or am saying it wrong, i think its the float getting stuck, but im not 100%

yeah most the time you wouldnt have the drain screw intermittenly breaking loose, but ya never know, mine was having a problem with gas dripping out of that drain for a little bit, just did a rebuild and it was fine.

gas pouring from the very bottom hose on float bowl?? he said tap the carb and it should stop?? hummmm would that also be with a good carb cleaning?? this is witht he new carb.
that means that the float is sticking, so it may need some adjustment

ok so i pulled the carb. off the bike and took the float bowl off, pulled the main jet and the 2 main jet washers, the plastic main jet washer (#35 in the service manual) slides over the head of the main jet???(#36) i can screw the main jet and brass washer on, then slide the plastic washer over the head of the main jet, is this right?? from the books picture it does look like maybe the lip of the plastic washer may have broke??? hope you under stand what im saying, and would this affect anything??

@motoarts, thanks and i believe you found the problem haha, the pilot jet had crap in it, i took it out and couldnt blow through it, sprayed carb cleaner in it and ran a lil wire in it its clear now, i also ran some air through the body of the pilot jet and its clear, :), i havnt started it yet, on lunch im headed to buy an inline filter. ill let everyone know whats up in a lil while, still not sure about the plastic washer, but ill ask the local shop when i get there as well, even tho id probably trust people here than there haha thanks again everyone

Every warrior carb I've pulled apartthe basher and plastic cup are seperate if that helps any its 2 seperate parts if you look up the. Parts on babbits

Back