Carb Issues

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmg1

Reaction score
Stock Warrior 2004 model, Minkuni carb developed idle issue. Will not maintain constant idle speed. Idle will become erratically high and then drop so low it will stall. I replaced Minkuni with an Edelbrock Quicksilver. Still has idle issues, all over the place! Has new rings, new piston, valves were lapped and adjusted... throughout RPM range bike ran better with the Edelbrock but still has the same issues. All adjustments have been made across the board from accelerator pump to needle to needle height with no consistent idle in sight. Possibly electrical?? Looking for some help with tuning carbs, and or possible ignition problems or any other ideas? Would appreciate any suggestions or ideas. Thanks!

Sounds to me like your getting air into the intake some how forcing it to run leaner on the bottom.

Are all your seals good around the carb boots.. also make sure the carb is pushed in all the way. I had a hell of a time getting mine in the whole way. In fact i rode it around with it out some because i didnt think it would go in any further. Id suggest some light grease around the carb piece not only will it go in easier but it will also make a better seal. When i say light i mean light so you dont squeeze any excess out into the intake port.

Also another problem i found with the edel is the aluminum piece that bolts on the motor... if you over tighten the rubber it forces it to squash and create a place for air. Also all the orings around the aluminum intake and etc can also get a light coat of grease.

I'm really ******* drunk right now but I'll respond tomorrow morning with some thoughts and hopefully be able to help. Thanks for the props 97.
good night.

Stock Warrior 2004 model, Minkuni carb developed idle issue. Will not maintain constant idle speed. Idle will become erratically high and then drop so low it will stall. I replaced Minkuni with an Edelbrock Quicksilver. Still has idle issues, all over the place! Has new rings, new piston, valves were lapped and adjusted... throughout RPM range bike ran better with the Edelbrock but still has the same issues. All adjustments have been made across the board from accelerator pump to needle to needle height with no consistent idle in sight. Possibly electrical?? Looking for some help with tuning carbs, and or possible ignition problems or any other ideas? Would appreciate any suggestions or ideas. Thanks!

The rev limiter thing at WOT higher RPM can be jetting. If the jetting is to rich then the engine will stutter or miss at high rpms. All you have to do is back off one size or lean out one at a time until that goes away.
I'm not very familar with Edelbrock carbs but I don't think it's a jetting issue. It honestly sounds more like an air leak. That spacer plate is metal that they give you. Did you put sealer on it? Is the cam chain tenisoner working and is all the slack taken up in the cam chain? Maybe spray some carb clean around the intake manifold why'll the bike is running as if the idle changes then you know you have a leak.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the input I plan on checking for air leaks and putting RTV sealant on the intake boots both aluminum and the rubber one. I think I might need the 16E needle that should run one size leaner. I am running stock motor with a slip-on muffler. I know with the edelbrock carb you need open air box and full pipe. I am probably running too rich.

i just cleand my makuni carb because i was having a similar issue. total stock machine, full choke fine, half choke fine, choke off... sputter sputter backfire shut off.. would not idle. then i found this forum through another guy and ended up cleaning the whole carb. why do the bowl screws strip out so easily? sounds like jasonp has your solution though.

figures i replace the plug, air filter, fill up the tires, then want to go for a quick ride and get the carb issue.. d'oh.

all is good now

Back