cams

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yfmwarrior38

Reaction score
iam wanting a good cam with low to mid range power gain what would be best cam to get money is kinda low right now so cant go to crazy lol

EVERYONE says hotcams are junk but i run one and like it alot. If i were to do it all over again id go with web .390 or a .415 cam

Is the web .390 really that much better than hc stage 1? I keep reading how hotcams are junk, makes me wish I would have read these forums before I put one in both my warriors an a stage 2 in my dads

http://www.yfm350.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20784

Fourth post down explains the reputation that hotcams have and why.

And also The valve timing figures and lift figures include lash. Which is .13 MM intake and .15 MM exhaust! NOT inches like everybody thinks. So it comes out to like .005" intake, and .006" exhaust. So not only are they taking the timing figure at .040" + what ever lash is then they figure in duration and lobe center. This is honestly very different from what most cam manufactures use. This makes it really hard to figure out what there trying to do or how big the cam actually is. For the most part I'm guessing like what we talked about before. Instead of having a really agressive lobe lift like web or megacycle which have sharper ramps they use less as there using stock valve springs to help keep the valves from floating. Well either way I still think your better off with something that the other manufactures make.

Thats some of JasonP's info. Hes the cam guru round these parts. Altho, I'm doing as much research as I can, Cams are for the time being really fascinating me.

Is the web .390 really that much better than hc stage 1? I keep reading how hotcams are junk, makes me wish I would have read these forums before I put one in both my warriors an a stage 2 in my dads

Hotcams are not junk. I dont care what anyone says. Most havent tried it so they dont now how they are, they just go by word of mouth. I have the stage 1 and it pulls hard in the mid and top end.

Hotcams are not junk. I dont care what anyone says. Most havent tried it so they dont now how they are, they just go by word of mouth. I have the stage 1 and it pulls hard in the mid and top end.

The cam itself isn't junk, but if you read my past post, they are designed to run on stock springs and in doing so, it compromised some of the true potential a cam can give you. Its just wise if your going to spend the money, spend it right and get the best bang for your buck.

That being said, I have ridden your quad and it does pull pretty beastly. But you just have that to use as comparison, u need to wheel on a web or mega 390 to see the differences.

The cam itself isn't junk, but if you read my past post, they are designed to run on stock springs and in doing so, it compromised some of the true potential a cam can give you. Its just wise if your going to spend the money, spend it right and get the best bang for your buck.

That being said, I have ridden your quad and it does pull pretty beastly. But you just have that to use as comparison, u need to wheel on a web or mega 390 to see the differences.

See i know Hotcam says there cams can be used with stock springs, but why on earth would ya use the junk stock springs. If your gonna do head work do it the right way and get good springs like i did. Im sure mine pulls harder than someone with a hotcam and stock springs.

I may add that, yes, if i was to do it over again i woulda got the web .390 or 415 cam. Still just may do that this summer

Im about to do a top end rebuild and i figure if i already have it tore down i mine as well put a better cam and springs. But i am a little nervous about doin head work. Is this something i can do with a limited amount of knowledge, or something better left to the pros?

Im about to do a top end rebuild and i figure if i already have it tore down i mine as well put a better cam and springs. But i am a little nervous about doin head work. Is this something i can do with a limited amount of knowledge, or something better left to the pros?

Changing the springs are a lil tricky, if you dont have the right valve spring compressor dont try it, as it just makes it harder. Cam swaps are easy, just a simlpe bolt on job

Changing the springs are a lil tricky, if you dont have the right valve spring compressor dont try it, as it just makes it harder. Cam swaps are easy, just a simlpe bolt on job
I dont have a valve spring compressor. Might have to invest in one. Or just pay somone to do it.

Back