cams??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiterain

Reaction score
im gonna buy a cam this weekend, but i cant figure out which one is better for me, maybe someone can help

i want as much top end as i can get, but i dont wanna sacrifice too much bottom end, i do not want to have to change the valves or springs. i was thinking of the webcams one, or maybe the stage 2 hotcams. whats the difference between the two. i plan on putting a 12-1 JE piston in also.

also how hard are one of these to put in, i have mechanical skills and the workshop manual, i just have never did a cam in a single cylinder.

thanks,

matt

i'd go with the midrange webcam. it's a good performer all around. They are pretty easy to install too. Just have to have someone to press the front bearing off your old cam and onto your new one.

well man if your not wanting to change the valve springs your not going to gain much. The only cam that doesnt require you to change the valve springs is the hot cams and its not much of an improvement over stock. If you still want a cam id look into the .430 cams because they seem to be a favorite and dont kill your bottom end like a .450 cam. I have and .450 cam and it took a lot of my bottom end away. just my .02 but changing the valve springs is pretty much a must.

I have read many times over the stock warrior springs suck, even in a stock configuration you will notice a difference with aftermarket springs, I did. The stock springs float at high RPM so bad it sounds like its hittin a rev limiter. Just change the springs there not hard at all to do. Then you put what ever cam you want.

Did anyone ever find a tool to change springs without pullin the head? Not everyone pulls theirs off when swapping cams.

before i bought this it had a 3 angle valve job done, do they usually have the springs changed in that process? im pretty sure im gonna order the cam from webcams, isnt that a .230. what springs should i order to go with it?

dude, go straight to www.magicracing.com. you can get the webcams and kibblewhite spring kit. only thing with the webcams is that there is a $100 core charge.

and no, they don't replace the springs unless you asked them to; and even then it would probably be stock springs.

Isnt it a must to change your rocker arms also with the web cam , SInce there hard welded?
I'm just wonderen whta ya guys are getten away with here........... : )

If yas actually changed your rockers yourselves...........what ya use to pullem?

About the spring compressor question;
There is a spring compressor for cars that made to be useed without pulling the heads,
but i think the arms would be to wide to fit in and grab the spring. Guys fill the cylinderthrough the spark plug hole with a clean rope (Like a close line type) then bring it up on compression stroke to push it against the valves to keep them from falling down.

There may be one for small engines out there somwhere............worth looken i suppose.

Just wack the head of the springs with a mallet and remove the keepers. While you are there I would replace the valve seals... You really should remove the head to inspect the seats instead of trying to half ass it...

Back