cam ?'s

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1988nissan300zx

Reaction score
ok i am looking for some help on cam choice but am some what on a budget. i have the hd spring kit and am getting my head ported. so i am just looking for input. thanks!

cams i am thinking about

*hot cam stage 1- for its simplicity of not needing much and being better than stock. but would like something a little better than it.

*web .390 88 grind- but not sure about the whole rockers needing hard welded. And if needed then its kind of out as i'm on a budget and cant really afford cam and getting rocker welded right now.

*megacycle .415 (252x2)- but don't know much about it as far as if rockers need hard welding or not.

so it comes down to just wanting a cam that i can use with what i got basically and not having to do/ get anything else. and thanks again for the help!

Dude you can run any cam ever made except the pow roll 450 lift and the web 450 with what you have and no clearance issues.

I love my white bros and its just a copy of the web 390-430 cam.

The stage one and 390 are almost identical but both are less then stellar compared to other cams when I used them for me. But it all depends on your style

I just saw a used mega 252 on eBay this morning for 100$ + ship used. Not sure how much of a good price that is.

yeah i seen that but it is the 252x1 which is the .450 and i don't want that big.

You may like the .450 left cam, if you are running enough compression. But, I'd stick to lower lift, lower duration cam for stock stroke and overall fun factor.

Yeah, I think on stock stroke that WB cam is probably the ****! Just with the +4 stroke in mine, the 252x1 works supurb!

I've tried:
HC1, great entry level cam. Just good all around cam
Mega 252, great high rev cam, but needs to be rev'd to appreciate it.
Web 390, close in performance to the HC1 but felt like just a little harder hit in the mid.
Web 430, this is what I run now and love it! It has an awesome hit in the mid and keeps pulling hard till it won't rev any higher.
I will also suggest changing gearing to help the engine stay in the rpm range the cam likes.
I run a 14/40 and it works great. I tried a 15/40 combo but felt it taxing in the woods. Once the bike got rolling it still pulled hard.
Oh ya tried 18" and 20" rear tires.
And I'm 185 lbs.
Hope this helps some.

yeah i have 14/38 gearing right now and 20" rear tires. and i appreciate all the info and help, for now i am leaning towards the s1hc because of budget and not being able to find good deal on used. but since i will have the hd springs and ported head come spring if decide i need a diff cam i can always swap cams and maybe by then i can come across a good deal who knows. thanks again guys!

i also got to looking around and realized that i have a megacycle adjustable cam gear, been trying to find some info about but aint having to good of luck.

I have the adjustable cam gear, and can give you the run down on how it works. But, you really need a cam degree kit so you can dial it in properly. Without it, you are only guessing, and can bend a valve if you go to far.

For me, the 252x1 is a badass cam with P&P and the +4 crank. I run 15/40 gears with 21x11-9 and I run throw the gears hill climbing. Works awesome in the woods, too.

I missed something or you might have? You have an adjustable gear but stock cam?
The gear is far harder to come by than the aftermarket cams.
If you have one, that makes three I know of. Me, you, and Pat.

on the cam gear with in the "S" for stock position do i line it up at the black dot? just trying to figure that out because it was at the "4" and lined up with the "G" which from what i found would have been advanced 5 degrees.

yeah thats what i thought so i double checked the cam and there is no markings do insure its something other than stock, it just has the 1uy and a 2 on it. the thing also had a standard bore arias piston in it that i suspect is a 10.25:1, but i dont know.

Honestly, that cam could have been a custom ground unit from an engine builder. Like CWR, FST, Powroll, etc... I find it hard to believe that someone would use the adjustable gear with a stock cam. Unless it had a performance cam at some point, and it was taken out. I'd have to look at the gear's instructions to know for certain how that was degreed in. It is degreed in 2.5* increments.

well that's kind of what I thought, but if it was custom ground wouldn't it have some kind of marking on it. and for the gear what is the stock timing mark?

Back