Cam install.....

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baja226sport

Reaction score
I am wondering who has installed a cam on their own and how much of a pain in the ass it was. I have an aftermarket cam now but I didn't put it in. I want to swap it as I took it somewhere and they said it needs replaced. I just don't want to pay someone if I can do it.

Took me about an hour, don't waste the money paying someone to do it.

No gaskets required, inspect the bearings before you put the new cam in though.

Replacing the cam is not too hard, just gotta remove the old cam bearing and install it on the new cam, slide it in. What make/type of cam are you going to be using? Most aftermarket cams require you to replace the valve springs so taking the head off may be required anyways.

I think I am going to stick with the .430 webcam. It is what I already have and I think it performs ok. I wish someone actually made something for more bottom end though that wasn't just about the same as stock!

Go with the all around web cam or a midrange cam from powroll or elsewhere. Once you throw that in there you'll probably have a bit more of a flat spot in the upper end.

I've got the midrange Webcam and it adds great power to the bottom end and midrange, power on top is pretty good too, kind of an "all around" cam, great for trails and pits

I like the race profile a little better, since I constantly have the throttle pinned. The race profile does great on trails, but it takes a little more work to keep it in the powerband. Having a aftermarket cdi, direct shifter, or ez pull clutch lever will greatly help your speed. The quicker you shift and the quicker your motor will rev up the easier time you'll have with a race cam. Running a all around curve or low end curve on the cdi really helps throw your motor back into the powerband if you come accross obstacles or accidently upshift too early.

Back