Cam chain & bearings

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROMAN

Reaction score
If your cam chain seems to be okay...or needs adjusting even a little bit, how much more difficult is replacing the cam bearings while you're into the engine?
And about how long (in hours/minutes) is a job like this?

hmm cam bearungs are a pain... your timing chain is auto adjusted by a spring mech on the side of the jug, if your timing chain is bad its about 2 hrs to change if your not in a hurry, idk on the cam bearings.

OK...now that I've had a little time to ride my Warrior, (and not being any kind of expert at all) I believe I have narrowed my engine rattling noise down to a loose cam chain. It seems to sound consistent when riding on flat surfaces but when I go over large bumps or little ditches, it sounds like something bouncing up & down in there. Like a cam chain. The cam chain tensioner is supposed to be self adjusting. But from what I've read and reviewed on YouTube, cam chain tensioner failure is somewhat common. Or, adjustment is necessary regardless if it self-adjusting or not. Is a manual cam chain tensioner better?

Any opinions here?? Anyone? Anyone?

Prob just the chain needs replacing. You can take the chain off and grab hold of the cam and push/pull up and down to see if there is any play in the bearings. Replacing cam bearings can be a real bitch on these bikes. Especially the inner bearing, the outter is no big deal, because you have the cam out and put it in a hydraulic press. The inner bearing is the real mofo. You'll destry the cage and the needles get everywhere, and the outter race is a bitch to get out. I've had to cut the through the race with a die grinding bit to get it out.

Thanks. I am thinking cam chain too. I pulled the cam chain tensioner off and poked my finger down in the hole. I could push down on the guide approx one inch. When I removed the CCT the thing was all the way out.
At any rate, anything of this magnitude will
be my mechanic's problem.
I don't have the time, tools, location, knowledge, or
patients to do this.

Thanks. I am thinking cam chain too. I pulled the cam chain tensioner off and poked my finger down in the hole. I could push down on the guide approx one inch. When I removed the CCT the thing was all the way out.
At any rate, anything of this magnitude will
be my mechanic's problem.
I don't have the time, tools, location, knowledge, or
patients to do this.

It will pop out when you remove it, its pest to look at the line of oil or dark area on it to give you a better idea as to how far out it has been sitting for a while.

Sometimes you can remove the spring first then pull the CCT (I like that abbreviation) and it will hold its spot.

Ex-nay on the manual tensioner, dont even think you can get one for out engines. and the tensioners rarely fail, it s a simple machine, the chains do stretch over time.

DID or O.E.M. is what I would replace it with.

Back