Calling all Techs,oil pressure check bolt problem

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lt55

Reaction score
I need some advise.I have an 03' Warrior and I just did my first oil change on it.No I didn't buy it new. After changing the oil and oil filter,the Clymers service manual said to loosen the oil pressure check bolt and let oil seep out. Well it did and I tightened it down.Part of the bolt broke off in the cylinder head.I think the part is still in the cylinder wall.I know that I didn't over tighten. This oil pressure check bolt is new to me. Is it really needed? I can do work on the outside of a motor and have never done any internal motor work. It's in a tight place and I dont know that I want to take the cylinder head off to fix it. If I need to I will.Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Um, someone else might have thier own opinion on this. However my opinion would be to go get a set of easy outs. You will have to drill a hole in the remaining part of the bolt, then hammer the easy out inside of the hole. After that just unbolt the remaining part of the bolt that is broke.

Like I said someone might correct me here. I don't know if it is a good idea to drill here and also hammer the easy out in there. But that would be my best guess.

i agree but where is the oil check bolt on the head is it the bolt on the head that is a phlips and a 10mm with the bango washer on it. cause iv never done that at all ive used that bolt for priming the topend when doing the topend

The bolt in question is hollow. In other words it has a hole in it from the tip to just below the head so the oil can seep out. I'm not sure if an easy out will work. I know other people on this site change the oil in their warriors. Do they have an oil pressure check bolt and if so do they check it? I don' t want to knock the rest of it into the motor. Thanks for your suggestions.Anybody else?

for that you can go to sears or where ever and buy some left handed dill bits in this case works great for things like this

The bolt in question is hollow. In other words it has a hole in it from the tip to just below the head so the oil can seep out. I'm not sure if an easy out will work. I know other people on this site change the oil in their warriors. Do they have an oil pressure check bolt and if so do they check it? I don' t want to knock the rest of it into the motor. Thanks for your suggestions.Anybody else?

I've done quite a few oil changes without any trouble, and I never even heard of an oil pressure check bolt. I just drain the old oil, clean the filter, and put 3 quarts of fresh oil in and check the level after i let it idle for a few seconds. I never heard of this bolt, and don't see why you would need to use it for oil changes.

I'm just shootin' from the hip here, but maybe it's for draining off oil if/when you've overfilled it????

???

Yeah anything that I've changed the oil on,I never had to do an oil pressure check.That's what the clymers said to do.I don't think it's for overfilled oil because it's sure in a bad spot.The oil came out ran down the fins of the cylinder head and around the sparkplug.Thanks for everyones help.If anybody else has any advise please post it.

Back