busted left crank case cover

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamamike

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I just picked up a 97 warrior that has been rigged and neglected. Therefore, I'm damn near replacing every bearing and seal on this bike. No big deal though. The question I need some help with is. The chain came loose and broke the case. Not too bad, I can easily weld up the holes and keep it for a spare. How far am I going to have to tear into the motor to replace the cover? The manual shows removing the complete top half, but this is in the tear down section of the manual. Therefore, what I want to know is removing the top end really required, or is there a method or way to just replace the cover. Thanks for any help

Everytime I have taken the engine apart to replace a crankshaft, I pulled the right side case off while lying it on the left side. All the gears stayed in the left side case no problem. As far as changing the left case, I dont know if u can leave all the gears in the right side. Probably will have to pull all the gears out to do it?. Shouldnt be too difficult, just have the 2 left cases together and pull out one piece and immediately put it in the good side. Take pictures of all the gears aswell, might help in reassembly.

to replace the left side you have to lay it with the left side up and take it off and the gears will stay in place then slide the new cover on about the head yes it has to come off which will be the easiest part of your job

i did it in my blaster and im pretty sure it isnt much different, taske the motor out, unbolt top end, take left side covers off and remove stator, flywheel and sprocket (pretty much remove everything on the outside of that case) get an impact driver for the screws that hoild the cases together and seal it back up with yamabond 4

JB weld

Tearing the whole motor apart and replacing a case is not only expensive but also ti me consuming and a real pain in the ass.

Jb weld will do the trick.. i have used it on many cases and all are still together to this day.. including my warrior.

Yes, if the surface is prepped proporly and the JB weld applied in the right mixture it should hold up for a very long time and will save you some good money.

Everytime I have taken the engine apart to replace a crankshaft, I pulled the right side case off while lying it on the left side. All the gears stayed in the left side case no problem. As far as changing the left case, I dont know if u can leave all the gears in the right side. Probably will have to pull all the gears out to do it?. Shouldnt be too difficult, just have the 2 left cases together and pull out one piece and immediately put it in the good side. Take pictures of all the gears aswell, might help in reassembly.

YES YOU CAN LEAVE EVERYTHING IN THE RIGHT SIDE CASE, AND JUST REMOVE THE LEFT.

It's up to you but I would replace the case, find one on ebay thats is in good shape, and just pull the one side, the top end dose need to come appart.

I am with Dave -replace it. Rigging your machine will catch up with you. It may work or you may just get to do it right the second time

Thankks for the tips folks. JB weld is never an option for this type of repair. the the owner before me repaired it that way and it leaked like a running faucet. besides now i need to split the cases since a chunk of jb weld fell into the case (about the size of an almond). Would it be possible to just loosen up the top end and remove the bolts attached to the left case and slide it out without completly dissasembing the top end.I dont really want to pull the top end apart to swap cases, but oh well. I suppose i might as well rebuild it while it's apart. damn im glad this is just my buddy/spare quad and not my real quad. thanks again.

JB weld is an excellent solution if used right... i molded a whole 1/2 case out of it on my old 80 and that thing was still like that when i sold it... no problems what so ever.

I repaired my warrior case with it also..

Pull the top end off.... it will make the job easier and it wont take long at all.

i put jb weld on mine and the chain has slung off several times and not knocked it off.

Back