Broken Case

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r350ridin

Reaction score
Well my pos stock skidplate ripped off and i ran over a small tree that hit my chain popped it off and broke my case, i know when most peoples do is doesnt break far enough that they have a hole inthere block, well i do. What are my options here besides replacing the case?

SOunds like your fucked, case savers would have prevented this, You might have to dish out the major dough to fix it.
I hope for you though thats it oculd be a simple fix with some silicon or something.

Yea sounds like you are definately screwed...that sucks. it happend to me one time when i had an xr100 dirtbike but i didnt care because it was a beater bike.

hey i had the saem thing happen to me i cleaned the case with carb cleaner and blew it off and used quick alumin and let it set over night cause i was going riding the next day and it worked good just make sure u mush that stuff good togather when u take it out of the tube and put it on the case and if it leaks use some of that black silicone and put a dab where it leaks at i did it to mine cause it riped the case open and i could see my bottom end bareings lol its been for 2 years

sweet i think ill try that since its held u pfor 2 years

yea just make sure that your case is supper clean and u mix the puddy well if not it wond bond to the cause

I wouldn't risk it with JB weld. We used that on my cousin's case, the **** fell out, and without knowing it, he rode through a mud hole, and totally fucked his entire engine and trans instead of just the case. If you can't find someone that can weld it, then get a replacement on ebay and don't risk it. That's just my 2 cents.

58c422dac9bd5831889e18715a41ccf5.jpg

That thing filled to the top with muddy water, and he didn't even have a clue anything was going wrong until the clutch lost it's grab.

mines a lot smaller hole and like a whole piece broke off im going to buy a case saver also, the problem with welding it is that its thin cast aluminum, it could be welded no problem bu the priblem heaing something else up cause it is so thin.

JB weld would only fall out when the surface it was applied to wasnt prepared properly.

You must grind the surface in order to make a rough surface and clean new metal to bond to.

You have to set the quad on its side and in order to keep the weld from going into the case you have to put a piece of tape or something of the like over the hole, but make sure it doesnt cover the new ground metal. Dont worry about the tape even if it did manage to go into the case which is unlikely it shouldnt cause any problems, the motor would chew it right up. Cover the surface with jbweld and let it dry for at the very least 24 hours straight, dont use quik weld, use the original stuff.

When used right jb weld can save you hundreds of dollars, you can tap it, drill it and etc.

And although a case saver might have helped in this situation, i dont think it would have prevented it, the force the chain comes into the case wouldnt be stopped by a .1" piece of aluminum.

i got jb weld on it right now, all they had was the kwik jb weld so i got that hopefully it will hold.

The key is to let it dry and cure even with the quick stuff i wouldnt do any riding for about 24-48 hours minimum, i waited a week with mine haha.

well it held fine for 2 days then i sall some oil dripping and wiggle the piece and it broek off, i could litterally peal the jb weld off i guess the heat got it/

You didnt do it right thats why and you used quick weld.

You have to grind the surface with a die grinder and make it rough and have it down to bare metal WITH ABOSOLUTLY NO OIL OF ANY KIND on the surface.. not even finger residue, before you put jb weld anywhere near it, the only reason jb weld wouldnt work is that you either mixed it wrong or the surface wasnt prepared properly...

I mean litterally take a dremel tool and grind the surface down and the broken edges, use a strip of tape to prevent shavings and residue from going in the motor.. although there wouldnt be enough yo do any real damage anyway. Then wipe the surface with a tack cloth or paint thinner. Make sure you have a good 1/2" all the way around the hole ground down.

Trust me, JB weld will hold the case with no problems, back when i had my YZ80 1/2 of my case was a jb weld mold, when the chain popped it would smash the whole clutch arm assembly and break everything apart, with jbweld i repaired the whole case and never had a single problem the only time i had to redo the weld was when i threw the chain again an smashed it..... amazingly enough the jb weld actually held together better than the original alunminum. although i cant tell you if the chain hit harder to not.

you should have to grind it, the piece fit back perfectly and it was bare metal, i have tried jb weld on other stuff and it didnt hold well so IMO jb weld sucks, im going to put some marinetex on it b/c thats what my grandpa put on his block on his old truck.

You have to grind it no questions asked... the surface is flawed it has oil and other residue on it such as mud and debris. I wouldnt even re use the piece, use the tape method i described earlier.

You have to get fresh metal to bond too, this is the third time ive said it... untill you do nothing will work, even if its1000 dollars a bottle.

Its just like paint... it all has to do with surface adhesion. The surface you apply it to it wat makes it hold.

Yuo have to make a patch over the area, like i said you have to grind the metal around the broken piece a good 1/2" to make sure it bonds well. Just putting a little bit on a broken piece and shoving it back in is never going to work.

This is just my opinion, but I would get a better case and switch everything, then keep an eye on the chain.

Hey I had exactly the same thing happen, and thought it was the output seal. So in the process of replacing that, I found the crack. Like all the other guys said, make sure it's very clean. The best thing to use is would be laquer thinner or acetone. Keep wiping ang cleaning till there are no streaks and the edges to be cleaned are thoroughly clean. A small brass brush works great for this. Then let all the vapors flash off. This may take awhile if you got it really wet, and if any of the cleaner is still in the metal, it will try to escape through the JB weld. Once everything is clean and dry, mix up your ORIGINAL Jb weld, not the quick stuff. If you read the packages, the quick stuff doesn't hold up to the same heat as the original. Now after very thoroughly mixing up your JB weld, butter up both the case and the piece which broke off. If your case just cracked and didn't fall off, it may be better to break the piece off, as it was mine, to get a complete bond and seal. Now just follow the directions and whatever you do, don't fire up you quad till everything is completely dry. If you do, the pressure will blow out the Jb weld .

Now if yours broke like mine, the crack went in between the two screws holding the plastic sprocket cover on, meaning one screw goes into the main part of the case, and one goes into the broken off piece. Now theres also a 10mm bolt holding that same cover to the frame. Take this bolt out. This will prevent the flexing between the frame and engine from tearing your broken piece off.

I did this repair back in april, and haven't lost a drop of oil since. If done right, this can be a quality repair, and if you don't get too messy with it, it will look like a casting mark, and probably never be noticed.

Back