Breaking In Procedures

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad021

Reaction score
Well I'm finally getting close to the point where my quad will be back together (fresh bore, piston, and racing cam) and I was wondering how I should break it in to get the rings to seat properly and if how soon I should change the oil on the new engine?

Heat cycles, go out of a short cruise for 5 mins and come back and let cool completely. Do this a couple of times. Don't ride at a constant rpm for long periods. Don't let the bike sit and idle. Don't hold it wide open for long periods.. it's ok to get on it a little and engine brake. I'd say after a tank full of gas change the oil. I couldn't believe how much **** was in mine.

just run it the way you would any other time just not at a constant RPM...ALSO you want to use the chepest oil you can find with no friction modifiers like deisol engine oil just break it in for like 2 days or a good hour or 2 & drain the oil to get rid of the gliter then add your favorit oil..P.S. for better piston ring break in results you want to make sure your cylinder is completely clean ATF works the best & make sure your rings are stagerd the way they should be & soak you piston & rings with the cheep oil wipe off access the engine will smoke for a min. till it gets to operating temp. but these steps relly give you a great ring seal for long life...P.S. just remember if you installed a forged piston to let the engine worm up good & your break in will go perfectly...good luck...

Back