Break In

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerman2701

Reaction score
I just thought of this. Since Im going to wellsville saturday and my top end build only has about 30 min of ride time on it if that... what should i do...?

i was planning on riding before the weekend but with work and everyting else im not gonna be able to break it in at home...

soooo my question is should i just take it to the ville and take it easy on it the first couple hours and then get on the pipe

or something else?

only thing im worried about is people say to change the oil and filter after the first ride. so should i be good for a days riding on a BRAND new top end?

thanks all!

Should I worry about changing the oil or will the oil be okay until after wellsville?

I always break in with the cheap Autozone oil, they used to call it break in oil but they don't anymore. Anyways I generally run that and run the engine hard for a few days, then drain it and fill with fresh recommended oil. The reason you want to change it is because there will likely be small particles of metal in it from the break in process. Of course I've never done an ATV engine, but that's how I do it with cars.

Drop the oil....cheap insurance......whatever metal piece decided to "aquaint themselves" to one another will fall out with the oil stream...
most times these are smaller than you can see....
But Rappy 97 is right.....after intial cam break-in....ride it like you stole it...
Because it is air cooled...shut it down periodically and let it cool off a bit...
Do this a couple times.....the heavy loads will help seat the ring...once the ring is sealed the enhanced cylinder pressure will help "beat" the valves in......
The hot and cool cycling will let the cylinder and head "grow" and "shrink" together....
Water cooled stuff is much easier...because the heat transfer is so much more even...

My 12k to 35k race engines are run on a dyno HARD under load...for at least five to seven pulls......

Jebby

Last edited:
Well the oil still looks brand new since there isn't more than 30 min on the build. I used ya yamalube

the oil will definently be fine for one day of riding my motor gu told me to ride mine 10-15 hours hard after babying it for 30 min then change oil and filter worked fine

The pro builders say the best thing to do it ride it as hard as you possibly can for a couple hours, it will make the last much longer.

Back