brake pads not fitting

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bickel76

Reaction score
just put on one of the srp rotors and also ordered the heavy duty ebc pads. problem is that we cant get the pads seperated enough to go over the rotor. we think we have the piston all the way pushed in but it still needs to move about half the thickness of the pad. any ideas???

You have a blockoff for your parking brake, right? If you didn't already try it, take the blockoff plate off the caliper and see if your piston slides in any more. That's the problem I had, the blockoff plate wasn't deep enough for the pin to come out of the caliper all the way and allow the piston to slide in.

dont have a blockoff plate yet. every time that i place an order, i always forget to get one. basically have the parking brake setup minus the cable right now. we got the caliper on, but had to take a mallet to it and then let it run to wear down the pads a bit. unfortunately, the rotor, braided brake line and pads didnt fix my problem. my pedal sucks. it wasnt a total waste of money though. my stock rotor was bent and had a lot of wear. same with the pads. i should have ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit while i was at it, but didnt listen to my gut. i'm gonna go up to the yamaha dealer and check the pedal on the new ones to see what it is supposed to be like.

you need to compress the piston, use your stock pads and put them in take off the resivour cap and spread them with a screw driver (old pads cause this could rewin them you dont need to bolt them in) or if you have a brake piston tool you can use that, they have them at most tool stores

It takes quite a bit of time to push the cylinder all the way back in. Remember you trade a shitton of distance for force when you push the brake pedal. You have to put a ton of force on the piston to get it to go all the way back. Did you remember to take the cap off the resevoir? Keep pushing very hard for a while and you'll notice it's moving verrrrrry slowly!!!

yeah, we used a c-clamp. didnt have to worry about taking the rezzie cap off because i was putting on a new line and rotor, so i just pulled the caliper off. it's working fine now.

since you don't have a block off yet, I'm assuming that you still have the old parking break set up on it, with the line disconected that ran to your stock clutch perch (your running an asv if I remember right), back the bolt out for adjustment on the parking break, compress the piston again.

Back