Bogging down! Carb choke?!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usdsk8er540

Reaction score
hey yall. well i just put some gas in the warrior and jump started it (battery was dead) and started riding. after it warmed up it started sputtering really bad when i hit the throttle. im thinking that maybe my choke plunger is stuck out because it doesnt seem to want to go back in all the way. is there supposed to be some of the rod on the choke plunger showing when the choke is off? anyone got a pic that may help. keep in mind that i am running a 2003 warrior with a stock carb. also, i lost the little vent hose off of my gas cap, but thats not the problem seeing as i grabbed the one off my 300ex and put it on the warrior and it still sputtered. anyone know whats going on here? damn thing doesnt want to idle either so i tried turning up the idle speed and it still didnt work. HELP!

heres an update. i got 2 pics of the choke slide for yall to look at and i got a video so you can hear what it sounds like. please dont mind the poor videography, its just for the sound. please let me know if yall can help.
Carb1.jpg

Carb2.jpg

heres the video.

can you feel the choke click in and out?
That sounds like the rev limiter for the park brake! I'd check that for sure.

well, i can feel and hear one click, but i think its supposed to have 2. just doesnt seem like its supposed to go in more. i feel resistance at one point before the click, but im not sure if its a stop point. as for the parking brake rev limiter, i dont have a parking brake any more. i put a block off plate on quite a while back and didnt have any problems back then and havent until now. its puzzling the hell out of me and really pissing me off too because i really want to ride. i may just have to pull the f'ing carb off and play with it for a while. son of a bitch this warrior is starting to be a pain in the ass! i just cant seem to get any good luck with it! ****!!!!

dude take it easy...
It only does it when it's warmed up...??
This could be a stator issue as well. It really does sound like a rev limiter to me, like the park brake. I'd make sure all the sensors are pluged in and the wires under the hood aren't grounded out.. I'd take the choke off the carb and it's really not that hard to do. Take it out and clean it. I know my stock one has 2 clicks. A thing for you to try is pull it all the way out and see if that makes a difference.

I agree with Jason, sounds like a rev limiter if I've ever heard one... Double check all the sensors and make sure they are'nt loose. If not then I would take that carb off and give it a good cleaning just for good measure. Also make sure your fuel line is'nt clogged even though it sounds like the rev limiter/parking break issue.

ya sorry. im just gettin really frustrated. well i thought it was doing it when it was warmed up but i let it cool down for a little bit and went out on it to get the pics and video and it did it again so it was cooling down for about an hour. my fuel line is not clogged, at least from the tank to the carb because its clear tubing and i would be able to see a clog. i dont know why my rev limiter would be acting up like this, if thats what it is, because when i did the parking brake block off i modified the wiring. i guess ill have to check it again. then im gonna pull the intake boot off the carb and check the slide to see if its open. if its open without the throttle being pushed then the choke is on, right? ill check the choke slide too. btw, jason, did you watch the video? just curious if thats why you thought it was the rev limiter with the parking brake. also, the weird thing is that sometimes after i would push it full throttle, it would sputter at first and then sort of kick in, but not too well. i dunno. im perdy confused! ill check my wiring and carb tomorrow and get back with yall. thanks for the help. sorry i got so frustrated. ive just had so many problems with it and lately ive been just really frustrated period. oh well. im gonna get off here before i start rambling. later

okay well heres another update. i checked my carb choke slide and ive got the 2 clicks now. it was just sticking a bit. i checked my wiring and it seems to be fine. nothing changed from when i first did the parking brake block off. heres some pics. they arent the best quality since i took them with my phone (motorola q) and it only has a 1.3 megapixel camera on it.

both plugs (black and white)
Warriorwiring3.jpg

wires on the white plug, one black, and one green with yellow stripe.
Warriorwiring2.jpg

and wires on the black plug, one black, and one black with yellow stripe
Warriorwiring1.jpg

do i need to terminate any of these ends because this is how they were when i did my block off. anyways, im starting to think its an issue with the idle jet in my carb. im thinking i got some sediment from my gas tank into the idle jet since i dont have an in-line fuel filter on my fuel line from the tank to the carb anymore. im thinking thats the reason it wont idle for **** and stumbles at low revs. if i can get it past the low revs and get up some speed, it kicks in and runs just fine, so im pretty sure that its not the rev limiter for the parking brake, since i probably wouldnt be able to rev any higher if that was the case. so i guess now i need to try cleaning my carb jets. anyone got some tips for that, like what to use and how to do it. if there is any way to clean my idle jet without taking the entire carb apart and taking the jet out that would be great. sorry im dragging this on and beating the subject to death. yall are gonna hate me by the time this is over! lol also, jason, thanks for your help man. i really appreciate it. youve got some really good advice. thanks again. later yall

I forget what wires do what.. heres a link that should help with the park brake. http://www.bluetraxx.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=37421//url

Carb issues can be pretty easy if you look at it by throttle postion.
So 0-1/4 throttle pilot jet/fuel screw/air jet
1/4-3/4 needle jet and accel pump and main effects
3/4-full is main
the problem sounds like a main jet maybe fell out of your carb and causing a really rich condition...

okay that link helped. so i just have to plug in the wires from the black plug with the metal disconnects together and it should be good?

well heres an update. i took out and cleaned the pilot (idle) jet and it idles a little better now. now its sputtering at 1/4 throttle up to about 3/4 throttle so now i think the needle jet is clogged! ****! more work. i tried spraying carb cleaner into the throat of the carb to clean it, but then my dumb ass read on the can of carb cleaner that you are not supposed to spray it into the throat of the carb without the motor running. now it wont start! damn it damn it damn it! stupid move by me! so what have i done now? did i end up flooding it or did i really mess something up? im gonna have to get a new plug too because the one in it is really fouled because my jetting is a little rich. looks like i may just have to break down and take it to the shop and have my mechanic clean and adjust my carb. that would be a lot easier but it sucks because im gonna have to pay for it. oh well. at least ill know its done right. oh, by the way, 700th post! woo hoo!

any updates as to wether you fixed it.....

could the valves being out of adjustment cause the quad to bog and sputter like the poster is saying....

mine is doing the same thing and i have my parking brake sensor removed also....and i checked the wires to see if its grounding out on the frame anywhere....

well no update yet. i still havent got it to start yet. havent had much time to work on it. i have spark, but im thinking that now im not getting much fuel to it because my fuel line is at some sort of weird angle and it looks like i have an air bubble in the fuel line. im gonna work on it tomorrow. ill let yall know what i find out.

well, i took the warrior into the shop and had the carb cleaned. i just didnt have the time and skill to take it all apart and clean it. now it runs great! i was able to get out and ride on my land for a little while today and had a blast. i realized that i really need to get my whoop section built and get some landings built for my jumps! lol well at the end of my little riding session i found that after i shut it off for a minute to take off my helmet and cool off, my neutral light was not coming on. i pulled in the clutch and tried to crank it over but it did nothing. i took off the seat, checked the battery, and what do ya know! it turns out that the terminal on the end of the wire that hooks to the positive terminal on my battery (you know, the little circle thing that you put the bolt through to make a connection) broke off! yippie! now i get to find a new terminal the same size and put it on! still managed to get it cranked over by touching what was left of the terminal on the end of the wire to the positive on my battery and got it to the barn. i guess if its not one thing its another! lol no biggie though. by the way, im thinking about putting in a sort of cut-out on my battery so i can basically disconnect it when im not riding and try to avoid the slow discharge issue. anyone know if this is worth it? also, if i did something like this, i would put it on the negative wire, right?

well, i took the warrior into the shop and had the carb cleaned. i just didnt have the time and skill to take it all apart and clean it. now it runs great! i was able to get out and ride on my land for a little while today and had a blast. i realized that i really need to get my whoop section built and get some landings built for my jumps! lol well at the end of my little riding session i found that after i shut it off for a minute to take off my helmet and cool off, my neutral light was not coming on. i pulled in the clutch and tried to crank it over but it did nothing. i took off the seat, checked the battery, and what do ya know! it turns out that the terminal on the end of the wire that hooks to the positive terminal on my battery (you know, the little circle thing that you put the bolt through to make a connection) broke off! yippie! now i get to find a new terminal the same size and put it on! still managed to get it cranked over by touching what was left of the terminal on the end of the wire to the positive on my battery and got it to the barn. i guess if its not one thing its another! lol no biggie though. by the way, im thinking about putting in a sort of cut-out on my battery so i can basically disconnect it when im not riding and try to avoid the slow discharge issue. anyone know if this is worth it? also, if i did something like this, i would put it on the negative wire, right?

I broke both of my battery terminals when I had the warrior. Just found some "heavy duty" ones that are built real thick and beefy looking and did'nt have a problem after that. Then just used some electrical tape and some of that shrink wrap that you heat up with a lighter and it shrinks down real tight, never came lose.
Good to hear you got her running good, now its time for the real work, the track and jumps haha.

lol. ya i really need to get on the jumps but the damn tractor is not working right. my dad and i need to either adjust the clutch on it or replace it. either way its gonna be a bitch!

Back